RO/DI filter ???

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many folks change their sediment filter on a regular basis in order to extend the life of the balance of the filters in the RO/DI unit and in order to help against clogging.
I ran across a video online where the individual advocates changing the sediment filter every 4 months for those reasons and because of their inexpensive cost.
Something I had not thought of doing but will adopt now!

Stephen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 3 stage DI resin kit and my sediment filter gets changed every 3-4 weeks when I change my anion resin after it's used up. I have very little sediment and the filter is only slightly discolored but they are so cheap I have just made it part of the process/habit.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 3 stage DI resin kit and my sediment filter gets changed every 3-4 weeks when I change my anion resin after it's used up. I have very little sediment and the filter is only slightly discolored but they are so cheap I have just made it part of the process/habit.
This is what I just realized.
Thanks!!!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change my filters every second DI resin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I change the sediment more frequently than the others

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that sediment filter changes should be made based on, you guessed it, how much sediment is in your source water. The only practical way for most to gauge this is by monitoring pressure drop over time in your RODI system since color staining (e.g. from rust or mud) of the sediment filter isn't a great barometer of sediment filter function. Unfortunately, for people with high pressure source water (or, like me, who need to use a boost pump), it's hard to notice pressure drops in our RODI systems. Therefore, I just change my sediment filter whenever I do a DI resin change---or when I can't stand looking at the rust anymore. I change/rotate my carbon blocks whenever I notice the TDS incoming to the DI get over 10. Sediment filters are one of the last remaining cheap consumables in reefing, so I don't feel badly about putting in a new one every couple weeks. (I go through a lot of water)

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't changed mince (spectrapure zeta-zorb 0.2 micron) since 2018 :) it still looks and performs good.

will change it when it's needed, and not a day sooner.

J.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I change the sediment filters far more regularly than I used to. I’ve learned that if I keep replacements always on hand then my maintenance schedule is more timely.

I’m in the process of upgrading my RODI and mixing station which will include (2) dual TDS meters that will allow me to change filters and membranes based on the TDS trends instead of time elapsed.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't changed mince (spectrapure zeta-zorb 0.2 micron) since 2018 :) it still looks and performs good.

will change it when it's needed, and not a day sooner.

random thought...

maybe the question can be rephrased as, after producing how many gallons of RODI water do you replace filter x?

my use case is probably very different than others.

very rough math tells me that i make around 500 gallons of RO water per year, with about half of that RODI

J.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
random thought...

maybe the question can be rephrased as, after producing how many gallons of RODI water do you replace filter x?

my use case is probably very different than others.

very rough math tells me that i make around 500 gallons of RO water per year, with about half of that RODI

J.

Good question! Although the volume is probably a better metric than time elapsed, I think it is still going to vary for each location based on what is in the water supply. Of course, there is a trade off between determining the optimal time to change the filter and the cost to determine that point. With industrial situations that I have supported in the past, it was decided that changing the filter, gasket, bearing, or whatever other low cost part at frequent intervals to make sure that the far more expensive pump, motor, or other related piece of equipment was the preferred option.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question! Although the volume is probably a better metric than time elapsed, I think it is still going to vary for each location based on what is in the water supply. Of course, there is a trade off between determining the optimal time to change the filter and the cost to determine that point. With industrial situations that I have supported in the past, it was decided that changing the filter, gasket, bearing, or whatever other low cost part at frequent intervals to make sure that the far more expensive pump, motor, or other related piece of equipment was the preferred option.
Basically an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change my sediment filter when I change my membrane 3- 5 years. I monitor pressure drop but have never had to replace due to that.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back