ro/di QUESTION

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a Typhoon III 5 stage RO/DI system with two DI membranes. On and off I have had a lot of trouble with the TDS lately. Within the last week I have changed all the membranes and one of the DI membranes (accidently only ordered 1 - waiting for the other to come). I just changed the membranes in January of this year. The problem is my brand new TDS meter is showing 250 TDS. This has been confirmed with a handheld TDS meter. However the water leaving the DI membranes is showing 0 TDS. The last stage after the DI membranes is the DI resin cartridge which was changed last week. So the first three stages and the DI membranes are producing 0 TDS but once it enters and exits the color changing resin cartridge it is showing 250 TDS. What is wrong? Thanks

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not familiar with the particular system you are referring to, however, it sounds like you an inline TDS meter leaving the final DI resin cartridge?

Are both of are DI cartridges mixed bed or are they specialized (anion/cation)?

Lastly, when and how was your last calibration performed on the in-line and handheld meters?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning towards testing error from the handheld device. Try using one device to measure after the membrane and after the di resin to make sure.

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like something is not hooked up correctly with the lines? The water leaving the RO membranes should be around 2-4ppm tds and the DI resin will take that down to 0. The waste water line would be much much higher.. Higher than the incoming water source. Since you have a hand held tds meter what is the tds of your source water?

Can you also post some pictures of the filter housings and tubing connections? My quick search on typhoon III also shows some bypass valves in a couple positions. Could be something isn't set correctly. There should be no reason why you are needing to replace the RO membranes after 6 months

OP
OP
D

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was confused when I added the second DI membrane as to how to connect it all together so I sent it in to Air Water and Ice to have them correct it correctly. It has remained the way they have connected it. I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow as I am at work all night. I agree something is not correct. I will test my source water.
Im not familiar with the particular system you are referring to, however, it sounds like you an inline TDS meter leaving the final DI resin cartridge?

Are both of are DI cartridges mixed bed or are they specialized (anion/cation)?

Lastly, when and how was your last calibration performed on the in-line and handheld meters?
Yes, I have one in line TDS meter as the water leaves the final DI membrane. I have a TDS meter measuring the water as it leaves the last color changing resin cartridge before it enters my barrel. I am not sure about the DI cartridges- I'm using Dow Film Tec 100 GPH. The TDS meter was just purchased last week. I'm not sure it can be calibrated or maybe I just don't know how.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so we are on the same page. You have the AWI 5 stage. 10micron sediment filter going to 5micron carbon filter block going to 1micron carbon filter block. This water then goes into 2 RO membrane housings (there is no DI Membrane The unit comes with one RO membrane and you added a 2nd) From the RO housings you should have RO water going to the final DI Mixed Bed Resin cartridge and waste water going down the drain. I look forward to your pictures of the different cartridges and hose connections. It should not be hard to figure out if everything is connected correctly.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally why they put a 10micron sediment filter in is beyond me... That lets everything less than 10micron through to clog your carbon blocks. The sediment filter is the cheapest thing in the system. It should be 1micron if you are using a 1micron carbon block.

This doesn't really pertain to your tds issues but I would not replace the sediment filter in the future with a 10micron

from awi website
The five stages of filtration are as follows:

Stage 1 - Heavy duty, standard industry size 10 micron Poly Pro Sediment filter.

Stage 2 - 5 micron acid washed Gem coconut carbon block filter, removing 98-99% of chlorine

Stage 3 - 1 micron acid washed Gem coconut carbon block filter, that removes the remaining chemicals and chlorine.

Stage 4 - 100 GPD FilmTec membrane removing up to 98% of TDS (Total Dissolved Solids)

Stage 5 - A full sized, high capacity, re-usable DI cartridge* to bring the TDS down to ZERO

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was confused when I added the second DI membrane as to how to connect it all together so I sent it in to Air Water and Ice to have them correct it correctly. It has remained the way they have connected it. I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow as I am at work all night. I agree something is not correct. I will test my source water.

Yes, I have one in line TDS meter as the water leaves the final DI membrane. I have a TDS meter measuring the water as it leaves the last color changing resin cartridge before it enters my barrel. I am not sure about the DI cartridges- I'm using Dow Film Tec 100 GPH. The TDS meter was just purchased last week. I'm not sure it can be calibrated or maybe I just don't know how.
Some pictures of your setup would help. Something may be improperly plumbed.

Is this correct of your situation? Just want to make sure we are on the same page.
Water into final DI housing (as measured by in-line TDS meter) is showing "0"
Water out of final DI housing (as measured by in-line TDS meter) is showing "250"

OP
OP
D

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pictures. The readings are as follows: source water 315. After going thru all stages except coloring changing DI resin number is 30. After going thru all stages including di resin number is 200. Added an extra di resin canister and got the number to 10.thanks for everyone’s help.

Attachments

• 985EFED4-0C3E-43F3-94BA-57ADF9DD14CE.jpeg
    985EFED4-0C3E-43F3-94BA-57ADF9DD14CE.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 6D70B7C7-5FE4-442F-A113-E1A153BCA79B.jpeg
    6D70B7C7-5FE4-442F-A113-E1A153BCA79B.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 069DD810-C165-45A5-B0B3-A03039EEEDA1.jpeg
    069DD810-C165-45A5-B0B3-A03039EEEDA1.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 43F929D9-D76C-42E4-B768-34E0491B8B7A.jpeg
    43F929D9-D76C-42E4-B768-34E0491B8B7A.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 31
  • D94FB11B-9D42-410C-B01E-AEAE1651B0F9.jpeg
    D94FB11B-9D42-410C-B01E-AEAE1651B0F9.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 34

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't make sense, I have a coralife system that I added the BRS water saver kit to, so I have a 1. Micron filter, 2. Carbon block, 3. RO Membranes and 4. Dual DI cartridges. I have 425 TDS coming out of tap, 6 TDS out of RO membranes and 0 out of the DI cartridges.
Your set up should have 0 at the output, not 10.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t follow the flow of water through all the various housings and connections based on your photos.
30ppm after RO not great but ok. Where does the RO water go next after it comes out of the RO canisters? Can you describe how the water is going through the system and all the various connections?
I see you have an auto shut off? I am guessing something Is not connected correctly there or it’s faulty

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back