RO/DI Questions

Mizu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so Im getting into the hobby and my local store recommended me to get an RO/DI system at some point, so I figured it might be best to start from now so the amount of salt in the water stays consistent.

For context: My tank is going to be 32 gallons and mostly a fish tank, I don't plan on any corals currently.

Is there an RO/DI system that is recommended for beginners? Also, after I buy the RO/DI system, do I just need to purchase salt and the occasional replacement filters?

I found one online that is pretty cheap and was wondering if this is acceptable (I also found what appears to be the same model on another website for 5x the price so just wondering if these are the same):

1. https://www.ataquariums.com/shop/p/puratek-100-gpd-rodi-filter-system-aquamaxx

2. https://premiumaquatics.com/products/puratek-deluxe-100-gpd-rodi-filter-system-aquamaxx.html

Lastly, I found this upgrade filter kit, im assuming these would be replacement filters?

Thank you in advance for any help!

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ro buddy from Amazon and I’ve never had any issues with it. The only thing is that in the long run it’s going to be cheaper to get one of the more expensive ones because every 6 months to a year you have to change all the cartridges which cost 30 bucks.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one says they are open box. They offer no warranty so it sounds like if you get it and something is wrong, you will get no help/refund from them. It is up to you if the savings is worth the risk.

You are correct. The BRS link is just replacement filters.

You really should check your water supply and see if they use chlorine or chloramines. If they use chloramines, then you want a unit with 2 carbon filters or 1 filter made for chloramines.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the simple Amazon buddy for years along with a standard refillable 10” canister for DI resin producing 40 gallons a week used in my 250g system.

It’s cheap, works well and produces 0 TDS.

I have to change the sediment at 6 months, Carbon at 3 months and the membrane at 18 months.

Great water for the price.

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ro buddy from Amazon and I’ve never had any issues with it. The only thing is that in the long run it’s going to be cheaper to get one of the more expensive ones because every 6 months to a year you have to change all the cartridges which cost 30 bucks.
Yeah, I use the RO Buddy too. It’s pretty cheap to start, and it’s easy to use. But, having to replace the cartridges will eventually make it more expensive. So, I would just go for the more expensive option, it will most likely cost you less in the long run.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Opus said above. Know the quality of your source water and get what will provide the best solution. The cheapest system might cost more.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back