RO/DI removing Silicates

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2012
Messages
1,411
Reaction score
143
Location
Bay area, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know which part in my RODI setup removes silicates? I have a 4 stage setup with 2 additional DI units. I just replaced all 4 stages and the DI resin in the last 2 units looks fresh. Before all this it seemed like i was getting brown stringy algae on my sand bed in a low nutrient tank. Any input would help, thanks.
 
I think it's the RO membrane and DI resin that removes the silicates. I read about it here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.php. The thing is, I don't think diatoms typically look stringy, it tends to look more "dusty". Are you sure it isn't cyano or dinoflagellates? Do you notice any bubbles in the "algae" when the lights are on?
 
I know what cyano looks like, it may be similar. I think it's coming from my water source for the fact that I have it in both my tanks. 1 is only weeks old the other is over a year old.
 
Yeah, I've been battling it for a couple of months in mine, and it's about 9 months old now. It has gotten considerably better, but it's still frustrating.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new