RO/DI unit

  • Thread starter Thread starter Squadir
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Squadir

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2015
Messages
384
Reaction score
125
Location
Trinidad, W.I.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any experience with the AquaFX Barracuda RO/DI 50 GPD unit?
What are your views? good buy or get something else?
 
Depending on your water needs (size of tank) 50GPD is a little on the low end
 
I only do a 10g water change once a week and usually top off 1g a day so 50gpd is fine with me, just concerned about the quality and longevity of the unit itself.
 
Well to me an ro unit is just that. The quality of the ro membrane and filters are key.
spectrapure is what I use
 
They are awesome!
and to me some great di resin :-)
 
Ok so I'm set on buying the refurbished spectrapure RODI unit soon, what I would like to know is the general care of a unit. I use approx 30 gallons of water for top off and water changes weekly and this is a 90gpd unit so I should be able to make a weeks supply in one day so:
* Would it be best to just make the amount of water needed each day, make water for a few days, or make enough to last for the week?
* What happens to the unit when I'm not making any water? Does it just stay there connected to the main water supply until I'm ready to make some more or do I have to remove and store the filters & resin, etc. while not in use?
* How long can I store RODI water safely?
* Should I get a TDS meter and check the quality of every batch of water made?
 
A RO membrane works better if you make your water in larger batches. Short filter runs lead to TDS creep which shortens the DI life.
I leave my RO/DI hooked up all the time but I have float switches filling an ATO reservoir. The system you are looking at, which I highly recommend by the way, is set up to make water manually so you can either disconnect it after use and store it with the housings full of water in a closet or other out of the way places until next use, or you can buy a 1/4" John Guest style ball valve from the local hardware store and install it on the inlet of the RO/DI, shut it off and leave it connected. I prefer to leave things connected as it is less prone to leaks and drips that way. It can stay unused for 10-14 days no problem as long as it is in a climate controlled place and out of direct lighting.
You can store RO/DI water almost indefinitely as long as it is sealed or covered with a snug fitting lid in a bucket.
Yes, a handheld TDS meter is the best way you have of determining how well the system is working and when you need to replace the RO membrane or DI resin. Stick with something like the HM Digital TDS-3, TDS-4TM or AP-1 as they are all ATC temperature compensated unlike the TDS-EZ or inline meters.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new