OP
C

Cranstons12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my tds, after resin, get to 30 before and did a icp on it, it was clean except silicates. Practically harmless in tank(it does fuel diatoms), some people douse silicates to tank
So wich reading should i go off off? The one on my unit that reads 009 coming out or my hand held one that says my stored water is 000? Thats my confusion lol

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust the hand held in the sense I doubt you have 18MΩ water. All consumer TDS meters work in the realm of good enough. The true reading is probably something between the two. If you want to check your meter that’s telling you 9ppm check it in distilled. In distilled water it should read 0 or 1.

OP
OP
C

Cranstons12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust the hand held in the sense I doubt you have 18MΩ water. All consumer TDS meters work in the realm of good enough. The true reading is probably something between the two. If you want to check your meter that’s telling you 9ppm check it in distilled. In distilled water it should read 0 or 1.
How do i do that?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i still keep all the water its already produced or do i have to dump it and start over when i get the di media?

I would. Just when you get your new media let the first few gallons of treated water go down the drain until you see 0tds coming out.

Nothing like spending a ton of money to get 0 TDS water then even more money to make it 2100TDS water.

OP
OP
C

Cranstons12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. Just when you get your new media let the first few gallons of treated water go down the drain until you see 0tds coming out.
U would dump it? Sorry for the "newbie" questions lol i always went and got ro/di water so kaing my own is all new to me

OP
OP
C

Cranstons12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Was not clear. I would keep it. Was responding to the “can I keep it” part of your post.
Okay awesome! That makes me much happier lol it took 2 days at 6 hour intervals to produce the 50 gallons and i would hate to dump it to start all over and not to mention hike up my water bill lol

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you buy packs of resin, as opposed to prefilled cartridges, make sure you pack it in as tight as you can. Look up instructions/video on how. Basically tapping canister as you fill( I have a cap on a pcv pipe I pack it with). It is imperative that it is not loosely filled. And I've bought filled canisters that were not tightly packed, so don't assume it is. Should be pretty firm to squeeze canister when filled properly.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome! That makes me much happier lol it took 2 days at 6 hour intervals to produce the 50 gallons and i would hate to dump it to start all over and not to mention hike up my water bill lol
I agree with Paradox, definately spent resin and should be an easy fix. Double check you installed the probes the correct way for the inline meter as well. But those handhelds are natoriously untrustworthy. 11 TDS coming out means you have a great membrane in there which is nice.

OP
OP
C

Cranstons12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Paradox, definately spent resin and should be an easy fix. Double check you installed the probes the correct way for the inline meter as well. But those handhelds are natoriously untrustworthy. 11 TDS coming out means you have a great membrane in there which is nice.
I will definitely b getting the media for the DI friday if my lfs has some in stock!

OP
OP
C

Cranstons12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you buy packs of resin, as opposed to prefilled cartridges, make sure you pack it in as tight as you can. Look up instructions/video on how. Basically tapping canister as you fill( I have a cap on a pcv pipe I pack it with). It is imperative that it is not loosely filled. And I've bought filled canisters that were not tightly packed, so don't assume it is. Should be pretty firm to squeeze canister when filled properly.
Will do! I appreciate all the help! I will keep u updated when i get the resin!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back