RO/DI vs. Pre-Mixed Water + Heating

  • Thread starter Thread starter kay-dee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kay-dee

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2025
Messages
59
Reaction score
27
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

So I've had my tank running for about 3 months. I've been buying premixed salt from my LFS. I tested this morning & it read significantly lower salinity than normal (1.020 vs 1.025). I also tested their water for Nitrates & it was reading 5-10ppm which also adds to why my Nitrate levels won't come down (stuck at 25ppm).

I'm looking into getting a RO/DI system but I wanted to know if you can boil/warm some of the made water to mix in with room temperature water to make my own saltwater? I've been having bad luck with my heaters & when I try to heat the bucket of water it just doesn't move from 75°.

Any tips would be helpful. 🙂 TY
 
It's a great idea to get an RODI filter and make your own water so you're in control. As you see, the water you buy at the LFS may be unpredictable.

You could in theory warm your water up to tank temp on the stove, but I believe in practice that will be problematic. I believe you would overshoot the temp, and then be waiting for it to cool down.

I'd suggest just getting a new heater for your mixing bucket. For the mixing bucket I don't believe you need an expensive heater at all, just a basic, budget heater should work well. Look for one with an adjustable thermostat and not one that heats to a preset temp. That way if your water is under temp, you can turn the heater up a bit.

I've had this heater in a mixing bucket for some time now, working well for me.

I've used several of these heater in my freshwater tanks over the years, they work quite well for me.

I hope that helps!
 
It's a great idea to get an RODI filter and make your own water so you're in control. As you see, the water you buy at the LFS may be unpredictable.

You could in theory warm your water up to tank temp on the stove, but I believe in practice that will be problematic. I believe you would overshoot the temp, and then be waiting for it to cool down.

I'd suggest just getting a new heater for your mixing bucket. For the mixing bucket I don't believe you need an expensive heater at all, just a basic, budget heater should work well. Look for one with an adjustable thermostat and not one that heats to a preset temp. That way if your water is under temp, you can turn the heater up a bit.

I've had this heater in a mixing bucket for some time now, working well for me.

I've used several of these heater in my freshwater tanks over the years, they work quite well for me.

I hope that helps!
Thanks! I'll check the heaters out!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new