RO storage tank as ATO reservoir?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I have my RODI system near my tank and have been going back and forth between plumbing the RODI water line directly to my sump (with redundancies), and am fully aware of the pros and cons of doing so.

But as I was changing the filters under my kitchen's separate RO system, I was wondering why I couldn't just use an RO storage tank as my ATO reservoir? I have the space for the tank in my stand.

Is there something I'm missing as to why that is not a good idea?

Thanks in advance,
J

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO tank for drinking water is pressurized ....
Could bring in a whole new set of pros and cons

joethenathan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re fine to do it so long as you have redundancy. For example, a pair of solenoids in series controlled by different float switches or something. Last thing you want is to have what could be an endless supply of water pouring into your tank.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used any RO storage. I have a solenoid in my home water line, so when it opens, it sends water to the RO unit, and then to my sump. Several people have given me the lecture on why they think this is a bad idea, but they may not have known the levels of redundancy that I have....which is likely more than most have on their ato storage or elsewhere.

Redundancies:
1) optical sensors in the sump, used with the Apex ATK kit
2) Two solenoids required to open up to sump.
3) Float valve on the ATK kit
4) Time limit on how long water can run
5) Time limit on how often it can run
6) Float switch hooked to the Apex, so it shuts off return and solenoids if level gets too high.
7) Water sensor on floor shuts off ato and return if wet.
8) Apex will shut off the return pump if salinity drops too low, so it limits salinity drop in display,
9) Water sensor on floor
10) Text message to my phone if #6, #7, #8, or #9 happen.
11) Overflow on the sump, so if it fills up, it will overflow into an in ground sump for the house (in basement)

It sounds complex, but hasn't failed in about 8 years.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use their ATO container to add things for dosing like kalk, so you'd need to find a separate way to dose if you plan on it so that your RO water is still available for being used to make new saltwater without additives already being in there.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use their ATO container to add things for dosing like kalk, so you'd need to find a separate way to dose if you plan on it so that your RO water is still available for being used to make new saltwater without additives already being in there.
good point... possibly top off into a kalk stirrer that will then overflow into the sump. Personally, I use a dosing pump with the kalk stirrer. Eventually, I will do something a bit more automated than that.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used any RO storage. I have a solenoid in my home water line, so when it opens, it sends water to the RO unit, and then to my sump. Several people have given me the lecture on why they think this is a bad idea, but they may not have known the levels of redundancy that I have....which is likely more than most have on their ato storage or elsewhere.

Redundancies:
1) optical sensors in the sump, used with the Apex ATK kit
2) Two solenoids required to open up to sump.
3) Float valve on the ATK kit
4) Time limit on how long water can run
5) Time limit on how often it can run
6) Float switch hooked to the Apex, so it shuts off return and solenoids if level gets too high.
7) Water sensor on floor shuts off ato and return if wet.
8) Apex will shut off the return pump if salinity drops too low, so it limits salinity drop in display,
9) Water sensor on floor
10) Text message to my phone if #6, #7, #8, or #9 happen.
11) Overflow on the sump, so if it fills up, it will overflow into an in ground sump for the house (in basement)

It sounds complex, but hasn't failed in about 8 years.

Love it. This is similar to the setup I have planned - yours might have a couple more safety measures which I may incorporate. Thanks!

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have virtual outlets I can flip to turn water to my mixing drum for one hour, two hours, or can easily modify the code otherwise. It has a float valve in it. Eventually, I plan on opticals or float switches in it. Most likely, I will go with floats to the breakout box.

Hnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Avast ATO pulls water from my 65 gallon RODI storage tank, which is in my basement connected to my mixing station. It pumps water up stairs to my office and into my sump. Apex controls everything, leak sensors inside and outside the stand. Coding in the apex to have it shut down the ATO if it runs longer than 5 minutes.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Avast ATO pulls water from my 65 gallon RODI storage tank, which is in my basement connected to my mixing station. It pumps water up stairs to my office and into my sump. Apex controls everything, leak sensors inside and outside the stand. Coding in the apex to have it shut down the ATO if it runs longer than 5 minutes.
Simple question as I'm wanting to set up my norwesco 65g tank as my ATO reservoir. Did you use anything attached to the tubing that goes to the bottom of the 65g tank to keep it from coiling or bending on itself to ensure that it stays in the bottom?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple question as I'm wanting to set up my norwesco 65g tank as my ATO reservoir. Did you use anything attached to the tubing that goes to the bottom of the 65g tank to keep it from coiling or bending on itself to ensure that it stays in the bottom?

Zip tie it to a PVC pipe to keep it to the bottom?

I feed my top off pumps from the bottom bulkhead of my ATO tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back