Rob's 125 Gallon Build Thread ( Used Tank Restoration)

bobbyrockstar_hfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently purchased a used 125 gallon tank from a local reefer ( Pics at bottom of this post) .

It came with a sump and all the plumbing, and was a reasonable price for what it was .

It wasn't the cleanest tank I have ever picked up , but it hardly had any scratches I could see, and I wanted to try and do a restoration , turn it into something before it just got tossed.

This will be my first attempt at alot of these to do items , but I thought if I threw in some effort , educate myself as much as possible , and hopefully get some insight / advice from other reefers when I get stuck , it wouldn't prove too difficult.

My Plans ( What it will hopefully become)

It is my hope to turn this into a "Close to new" mixed reef setup , with a new modern stand , control panel area , and a sump area inside the stand itself.

Steps

Step 1 - Tank Reseal Remove Silicone ( Completed )

No experience with this but have watched about as many youtube videos as I can at this point .

I took my time with several razor blades, a vacuum , nail polish remover to get all the inside silicone off without compromising or going too deep.

Step 2 - Deep Clean Tank (Completed))

Clean the tank and try and get as many hard water stains off as I can before I apply the new silicone. I used barkeepers friend and it really does work wonders .

Step 3 - Tape And Reseal

Tape and re seal with aquarium safe silicone ( I picked up from local hardware store )

I should have enough , I have heard that the amount needed in ml's is ( add all your seams and multiply by glass thickness)

Step 4 - Paint Trim

Repaint trim to make it a bit newer looking - Depending on if it holds water at this point , I went white with my last tank using Krylon , turned out great .

Step 5 _ Reinstall Overflows ( Just 1 or 2 ?)

Reinstall Overflows ( Contemplating just going with one instead of 2 to create more space , does anyone have any experience with a 125 and just one overflow on one side ? )

I am wondering if the return line size and overflow pipe size is large enough , can i go down to just one overflow ?)

I will probably just add them both back in , but just a thought I had.

Step 6 - New Stand & Control Area

Build a new custom stand with a sump area , and a control panel . The stand it came on is terrible this has to go .

Step 7 - Order Things

Order the return pump , heaters ( have to look up how much wattage for dual heaters I will need) , dry rock , ato .

This will once again depend on if I know the tank will hold water again after Step 5) .

I control my other tank with Kasa Power bars and my phone and monitor temp with an inkbird wifi .
I will probably go with those until I grab an apex.

Step 8 - Aquascape

Aquascape outside of tank , and glue it together , looking to strike a balance between negative space with shelves for corals and some caves for the fish . Probably will go with Marco dry rock and cut to get shelves or order some flat pieces .

Step 8 - Sand ?

To Sand or not to sand - I guess ill decide once its time , flow is always an issue to consider.

Step 8 - Cycle and Add

Fill the tank , cycle , add 1st quarantined fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the plan anyway , but nothing ever goes to plan .

Fingers crossed it just holds water after Step 3 . Its looking pretty clean now , lets hope it works out .

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg tools2.jpg scrape.jpg clean.jpg clean 2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bobbyrockstar_hfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, tank does not leak . I decided to Silicone back in both overflows after I tested the tank to hold water for 24 hours.

I have now built the open face stand using 2x6 as support.

IMG_20201025_102713.jpg

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently purchased a used 125 gallon tank from a local reefer ( Pics at bottom of this post) .

It came with a sump and all the plumbing, and was a reasonable price for what it was .

It wasn't the cleanest tank I have ever picked up , but it hardly had any scratches I could see, and I wanted to try and do a restoration , turn it into something before it just got tossed.

This will be my first attempt at alot of these to do items , but I thought if I threw in some effort , educate myself as much as possible , and hopefully get some insight / advice from other reefers when I get stuck , it wouldn't prove too difficult.

My Plans ( What it will hopefully become)

It is my hope to turn this into a "Close to new" mixed reef setup , with a new modern stand , control panel area , and a sump area inside the stand itself.

Steps

Step 1 - Tank Reseal Remove Silicone ( Completed )

No experience with this but have watched about as many youtube videos as I can at this point .

I took my time with several razor blades, a vacuum , nail polish remover to get all the inside silicone off without compromising or going too deep.

Step 2 - Deep Clean Tank (Completed))

Clean the tank and try and get as many hard water stains off as I can before I apply the new silicone. I used barkeepers friend and it really does work wonders .

Step 3 - Tape And Reseal

Tape and re seal with aquarium safe silicone ( I picked up from local hardware store )

I should have enough , I have heard that the amount needed in ml's is ( add all your seams and multiply by glass thickness)

Step 4 - Paint Trim

Repaint trim to make it a bit newer looking - Depending on if it holds water at this point , I went white with my last tank using Krylon , turned out great .

Step 5 _ Reinstall Overflows ( Just 1 or 2 ?)

Reinstall Overflows ( Contemplating just going with one instead of 2 to create more space , does anyone have any experience with a 125 and just one overflow on one side ? )

I am wondering if the return line size and overflow pipe size is large enough , can i go down to just one overflow ?)

I will probably just add them both back in , but just a thought I had.

Step 6 - New Stand & Control Area

Build a new custom stand with a sump area , and a control panel . The stand it came on is terrible this has to go .

Step 7 - Order Things

Order the return pump , heaters ( have to look up how much wattage for dual heaters I will need) , dry rock , ato .

This will once again depend on if I know the tank will hold water again after Step 5) .

I control my other tank with Kasa Power bars and my phone and monitor temp with an inkbird wifi .
I will probably go with those until I grab an apex.

Step 8 - Aquascape

Aquascape outside of tank , and glue it together , looking to strike a balance between negative space with shelves for corals and some caves for the fish . Probably will go with Marco dry rock and cut to get shelves or order some flat pieces .

Step 8 - Sand ?

To Sand or not to sand - I guess ill decide once its time , flow is always an issue to consider.

Step 8 - Cycle and Add

Fill the tank , cycle , add 1st quarantined fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the plan anyway , but nothing ever goes to plan .

Fingers crossed it just holds water after Step 3 . Its looking pretty clean now , lets hope it works out .

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg tools2.jpg scrape.jpg clean.jpg clean 2.jpg
Did that barkeepers friend leave a residue?

eamm97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. Recently picked up a used tank too but one of the glass panels is shattered. Is it realistic to replace it?

OP
OP
B

bobbyrockstar_hfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. Recently picked up a used tank too but one of the glass panels is shattered. Is it realistic to replace it?
You could salvage it I suppose .

A guy who lives close by to me has a YouTube channel where he shows how to take a tank apart so you can replace what you need , he is pretty popular actually . His channel is called "The King Of DIY" .

Here is the video for taking a tank apart.

HOW TO: take an aquarium apart TUTORIAL

Here is a video he does to fix broken or cracked aquariums

HOW TO: Fix BROKEN or CRACKED aquariums

Anyway have a look , see if its something you want to attempt .

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bobbyrockstar_hfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside doors and sides are now cut , just dry fitting them using some tape , next steps will be to edge band these in white banding , and paint the doors white as well.

Looking into options to attach when all painted other than hinges .

I used 3/4 shop grade birch.

20201029_114733.jpg

OP
OP
B

bobbyrockstar_hfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the edge banding is now complete , and I have filled in any imperfections with wood putty to be sanded down .

For the edge banding I used painters tape to hold the banding in place , then ran over the banding with an iron and then once again with a block of wood to make sure teh adhesive of the banding was on well. Then I cut the excess off with an utility knife and used sandpaper to get it completely straight with the board .

I decided to hang the doors using a style called a French cleat . Its where you cut a piece of wood on a 45 and let them hang into each other .

Next up a bot of sanding and white paint , although I was considering vinyl wrap if the paint finish doesn't come out as nice as I would like.

20201103_183509.jpg Banding in progress 1.jpg Banding on 1.jpg Banding on 2 .jpg Cleat 1.jpg Cleat 2.jpg Side 2.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back