Rock Anemone on Glass

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock anemone detached from my live rock two nights in a row. The second time it detached, it reattached itself to the glass near the sand bed. I moved it back to the rock but it flattened out, “threw up,” and refused to grab onto the rock. I was convinced it was dead so, after about an hour of it not moving or attempting to grab the rock, I held it to the glass as a final attempt. and OF COURSE it gladly grabbed onto it within about a minute and opened back up. It looks happier than ever but it’s placement couldn’t be more awkward. Should I try moving it again, leaving it for now, or leaving it for good? It seems happy where it’s at and I don’t want to kill it
image.jpg
image.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you have a fairly new tank.
This could be the cause of ehy it doesnt want to hold onto the rocks.

Your tank looks very cloudy too.

Could you post your alk cal and mag as well as temp and salinity?

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you have a fairly new tank.

Your tank looks very cloudy too.

Could you post your alk cal and mag as well as temp and salinity?
It’s fairly new and the water clouded up two nights ago after the lights went out. I added too much Energy AB+ that day and think it may have caused it. I’ve done 10 gal total of water changes sense (to fix other issues) and it cleared up a lot overnight.

alk - 14 dKH (was 17dKH before WC)
cal - 420ppm
mag- 1,500ppm
temp - 78 degrees
salinity - 1.025 SG

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud. What correlation are you making between a newer tank and the rfa not wanting to immediately connect to the rock? I'm a bit confused.

It doesn't seem that an anenome could possibly know. The glass is in theory just as new as the rock. I would agree nems may be adversely affected by a new tank, but I can't see how that translates to willing to hold onto glass vs LR.

Thanks.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud. What correlation are you making between a newer tank and the rfa not wanting to immediately connect to the rock? I'm a bit confused.

It doesn't seem that an anenome could possibly know. The glass is in theory just as new as the rock. I would agree nems may be adversely affected by a new tank, but I can't see how that translates to willing to hold onto glass vs LR.

Thanks.
I think there could be something on the rocks it doesnt like and its likely the precipitation caused by the alk overdose. Not to mention the tank is way too caustic for this guy at 14dkh.

New tanks with dry rock, usually something else going on in the tank with these 2 markers lol.

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there could be something on the rocks it doesnt like and its likely the precipitation caused by the alk overdose. Not to mention the tank is way too caustic for this guy at 14dkh.

New tanks with dry rock, usually something else going on in the tank with these 2 markers lol.
The rock is live rock or at least the two in the back. The one up front I bought as a coral cluster so I’m not sure if it’s live or not to be comepletrlt honest. I’m sure it doesn’t like the alk, but if that was keeping it from grabbing on, I’m not sure why it’d still grab into the glass. Do you know why that may be?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is live rock or at least the two in the back. The one up front I bought as a coral cluster so I’m not sure if it’s live or not to be comepletrlt honest. I’m sure it doesn’t like the alk, but if that was keeping it from grabbing on, I’m not sure why it’d still grab into the glass. Do you know why that may be?
Its ultimately going to end up where its happy. Or its going to die.

You can start doing more water changes to bring your alk below 10.
You have to realize that nem probably went from an established stable ecosystem to a brand new sterile tank with hardly any building blocks of life in there as well as a completely different water makeup...

I think your overdose caused the precipitation cloudiness we see on the surfaces and glass and the nem is likely not happy settling on the precipitation layering the rocks as well as in the sky high alkalinity of your tank.

You can try to blow the rocks off with a turkey baster and try again but it will move again more than likely.

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its ultimately going to end up where its happy. Or its going to die.

You can start doing more water changes to bring your alk below 10.
You have to realize that nem probably went from an established stable ecosystem to a brand new sterile tank with hardly any building blocks of life in there as well as a completely different water makeup...

I think your overdose caused the precipitation cloudiness we see on the surfaces and glass and the nem is likely not happy settling on the precipitation layering the rocks as well as in the sky high alkalinity of your tank.

You can try to blow the rocks off with a turkey baster and try again but it will move again more than likely.
the water changes haven’t brought it down. After adding the IO salt, the dKH is about 13-14dKH so I’ll just have to wait that out. I haven’t dosed alk since changing 15gal of the water so that shouldn’t be the reason for the cloudiness. As I said, it showed up after the lights went out. The tank was clearer when the alk was higher, than it is in that picture. I’m assuming the OD of amino acids, and the frozen cubes of food I was told to put in to raise nitrates, caused an algae/bacterial bloom. Unless it’s just causing a problem now because it’s new water as oppose to water that had time to filter and settle

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the water changes haven’t brought it down. After adding the IO salt, the dKH is about 13-14dKH so I’ll just have to wait that out. I haven’t dosed alk since changing 15gal of the water so that shouldn’t be the reason for the cloudiness. As I said, it showed up after the lights went out. The tank was clearer when the alk was higher, than it is in that picture. I’m assuming the OD of amino acids, and the frozen cubes of food I was told to put in to raise nitrates, caused an algae/bacterial bloom. Unless it’s just causing a problem now because it’s new water as oppose to water that had time to filter and settle
Man, you need to slow wayyy down otherwise you can expect more issues. Wait a few months while your tank matures and gets proper reef parameters taken start adding livestock…

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely unhappy with all the issues going on with the tank. When they are happy, they seem to never move.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back