Rock Change?

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have been in the hobby for right at a year now and finally placed my first coral in my tank. I realized though that my rock work does not really have a lot of room for coral (see picture) and I really want to change that. How can/should I handle changing the rock in my tank? I want something new like reef saver from BRS that will give me a lot more surface area without a lot of shadowing like I have now.

At the end of the day, I want less bulky rock and more room for coral. Is this possible?

Tank.jpg

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note. I did not wipe the outside of the glass before taking the picture. It's clean now though :cool:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have changed out rock. the advice I got was to do it 1 piece at a times & wait for "some" time before doing another. So what livestock do You have now? A frogspawn as the only coral? If the bioload is small it would help.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock will hold the majority of your live bacteria and pod population. You do not want to lose that. It will cycle your tank. Best option is as cracker said and do small piece wait a couple weeks, do another, etc. If you cannot do that due to size restrictions, I would get a bucket and put new rock into it, add saltwater, add pump for circulation, and keep lid on container to cure the rock over 3-4 weeks. If you want to jump start it, add in some live bacteria or some of your old rock.

I assume by picture there is no sump. Bummer as this is where I throw my dry rock to make live for any pico or other tank I set up.

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so the one coral, two clowns, two firefish and the shrimp. I wanted to do it within the next couple of months before I added more life to the tank.

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock will hold the majority of your live bacteria and pod population. You do not want to lose that. It will cycle your tank. Best option is as cracker said and do small piece wait a couple weeks, do another, etc. If you cannot do that due to size restrictions, I would get a bucket and put new rock into it, add saltwater, add pump for circulation, and keep lid on container to cure the rock over 3-4 weeks. If you want to jump start it, add in some live bacteria or some of your old rock.

I assume by picture there is no sump. Bummer as this is where I throw my dry rock to make live for any pico or other tank I set up.

I wish I had a sump. Simply no room in my current set up. Hopefully, within the next year, I will have a sump on this system.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the rock is cured with a source of bacteria to start. I would actually put one of your larger pieces in the bucket with the new rinsed rock. This will get bacteria going and get that dead rock live. Within a month, you could swap out without issue. You may have to give a piece of flake food once a week to keep some bacteria feeding. With your bioload, I would be comfortable doing this.

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the rock is cured with a source of bacteria to start. I would actually put one of your larger pieces in the bucket with the new rinsed rock. This will get bacteria going and get that dead rock live. Within a month, you could swap out without issue. You may have to give a piece of flake food once a week to keep some bacteria feeding. With your bioload, I would be comfortable doing this.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice and info!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curing rock for ridding of po4 and getting live are two different processes. You need to keep an ammonia source to get the live rock process active. That is what the current live rock and food will do.

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my old tank before I did any type of rock change I would let it sit in the Sump for a Long Period of time. It seemed to always work out pretty well. I also had a larger sump so I have a fudge and was able to get it going pretty fast.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back