OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure my RFA ate some very small hermit crabs (or else it was framed - 2 of them disappeared overnight and the shells were found right next to it...)

Ricordeas get another vote from me, come in a lot of colours and have a nice "anemone" look to them!
Yes, I too like the ricordia's, they have that mushroom look without growing like a weed.

Can I just ask, how does an anemone of any kind eat a hermit crab? Are they able to ingest the whole things, then regurgitate the shell?

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I too like the ricordia's, they have that mushroom look without growing like a weed.

Can I just ask, how does an anemone of any kind eat a hermit crab? Are they able to ingest the whole things, then regurgitate the shell?
I think so; there's a few posts of them eating snails and the like as well.

Mine definitely seem decently sticky, seen them grab a few things. No other casualties I know of, but I've seen my porcelain crab and larger hermits have to pull themselves free before, and they have a very strong/rapid reaction to frozen food hitting the tentacles, so I wouldn't find it hard to believe they could catch critters too small to be able to get free!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so; there's a few posts of them eating snails and the like as well.

Mine definitely seem decently sticky, seen them grab a few things. No other casualties I know of, but I've seen my porcelain crab and larger hermits have to pull themselves free before, and they have a very strong/rapid reaction to frozen food hitting the tentacles, so I wouldn't find it hard to believe they could catch critters too small to be able to get free!
Yikes! My mantis is clearly more motile and agile than a snail or hemit, but I do want what's best for the mantis.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I've seen my porcelain crab and larger hermits have to pull themselves free before
I'm surprised about the porcelain crab as I thought they were commensal with them but maybe more so the sexies and anemone shrimp.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a hard time keeping nitrates down in this tank because it's so small and the mantis is a messy eater. Right now, I'm having outbreaks of diatoms, cyanobacteria and some hair algae, so I'm not yet adding any other livestock until this stuff settles out. My tentative plan for the mantis tank is to make it kind of a Florida Gulf biotope, which is why I was interested in the RFA's. I have been trying to research what corals are native to that area, and I believe ricordias are. I think there's some varieties of zoa's from that area, and I had hope to get some more macro algae. If you know of any corals or anything else native to the Florida Gulf area, I'm open to suggestions.
Sorry to hear about the struggles you're having best to wait as you say. Ricordias are definitely in Florida but not sure about the Gulf if that is what you are trying to replicate. Macro algae would be great and can help with the nitrate issue. Check out Gulf Coast Ecosystems for some algae native to the area and have you looked at KP Aquatics? There are some zoas native to the area and gorgonians would be worth checking out as well plus there are shrooms besides ricordias that are nice as well. There are other divers local to Florida as well. Maybe get with some to see what they find diving in the Gulf that might make for a nice display to go with the mantis.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the struggles you're having best to wait as you say. Ricordias are definitely in Florida but not sure about the Gulf if that is what you are trying to replicate. Macro algae would be great and can help with the nitrate issue. Check out Gulf Coast Ecosystems for some algae native to the area and have you looked at KP Aquatics? There are some zoas native to the area and gorgonians would be worth checking out as well plus there are shrooms besides ricordias that are nice as well. There are other divers local to Florida as well. Maybe get with some to see what they find diving in the Gulf that might make for a nice display to go with the mantis.
The interesting thing is I started the 10 gallon mantis and a 15 gallon tank as my "main" tank at the same time with the same rock and sand. The 15 gallon looks beautiful, but the mantis tank is struggling. I think I need to up the flow, so I'm looking to get a Mighty Jet or a generic return pump. The 15 gallon has a Mighty Jet, and I think that's a big part of why it's doing so much better. The 10 gallon is also smaller, and the mantis is messy, so that tank has been a bit of a challenge so far.

Yeah, I don't know how super strict I am really going to be on exact species and locality. It was just kind of an idea to build around the Florida rock, sand, and mantis. Gorgonians are on the list for sure as are some more macro algae. I've heard of KP Aquatics, I am unfamiliar with Gulf Coast Ecosystems, but I will check them out for sure.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The interesting thing is I started the 10 gallon mantis and a 15 gallon tank as my "main" tank at the same time with the same rock and sand. The 15 gallon looks beautiful, but the mantis tank is struggling. I think I need to up the flow, so I'm looking to get a Mighty Jet or a generic return pump. The 15 gallon has a Mighty Jet, and I think that's a big part of why it's doing so much better. The 10 gallon is also smaller, and the mantis is messy, so that tank has been a bit of a challenge so far.

Yeah, I don't know how super strict I am really going to be on exact species and locality. It was just kind of an idea to build around the Florida rock, sand, and mantis. Gorgonians are on the list for sure as are some more macro algae. I've heard of KP Aquatics, I am unfamiliar with Gulf Coast Ecosystems, but I will check them out for sure.
Flow will definitely help especially with the cyano. I can't believe 5 gallons is making that much of a difference. What lights are you running on the mantis tank? Does the 15 gallon have more rock and sand? Macros will eventually help with the nuisance algae in time. It's tough because you can really use a normal cleanup crew because of the mantis and you would be risking fish as well if you had any you thought about putting in there to help. You might be able to try freshwater mollies conditioned for salt water. I hear they are great algae eaters and may eat hair algae. Good luck. I thought about doing a mantis tank. I think they're cool animals. They just got to be in their own tank.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of KP Aquatics, I am unfamiliar with Gulf Coast Ecosystems
I have not personally dealt with either but during my research over the last few years I have heard nothing bad about either but only good things. Macros and fish really can be seasonal around the Gulf area so you will always have to be on the lookout. Someone on here just recently got an order from the Gulf Coast Ecosystems and they were extremely happy with what they got. This person had already gotten some macros from somebody else that didn't last but these were a lot healthier when they arrived. Plus the person didn't receive any dead ones unlike from the previous place.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back