Rock Flower Anemone Minimum Tank Size and Questions

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 gallons is fine. Only the brown/white varieties from very shallow water can get even 6", the vast majority in our hobby only get 2 - 4". Even if they do grow to 6", it should still be fine. I wouldn't add more than about half a dozen, though.
Think you're right about that. My huge RFA is a green skirt/grey disk, light LOVING nem, like happy at the same PAR as my BTAs. I imagine it came from shallower waters.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have space (after you added all the RFA) you could add a Florida Ricordea. They are colorful & affordable. I was going to mention Sexy Shrimp, but it’s already been mentioned. If you want some small fish, go for the Green Warpaint clown goby or Citrinis clown goby.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tiny rockflower in 1 gallon. Youll be fine with a few and even put some rocks to add height to allow more room. Only about 1/8th inch i think.
IMG20231005195733.jpg

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a month old 3 gallon pico that I am specifically setting up for like, 1-3 super fancy RFAs and a small host of sexy shrimp. I've seen a lot of high quality pico tanks with rock flowers in them. I say go for it.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real issue you will run into is that there are more color morphs than you will probably have room for . Honestly staying focused with a small tank and not falling into “just one more coral” is very hard, my “just RFAs” 7g has Blastos and zoas and toadstools because how can you say no?

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real issue you will run into is that there are more color morphs than you will probably have room for . Honestly staying focused with a small tank and not falling into “just one more coral” is very hard, my “just RFAs” 7g has Blastos and zoas and toadstools because how can you say no?

That's why I have three tanks..... just one more

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I have been kicking around the idea of setting up a 2 gallon Pico tank, and have been thinking about what I’d stock it with. I’m newly intrigue by Rock Flower Anemones, and my thought was to make this 2 gallon a RFA dominate tank. However, I have learned that many RFA’s can reach 6-8” in diameter. That seems entirely too big for a 2 gallon tank that measures 8”x8”x8”. My question is what is the smallest tank recommended for a small group of RFA’s? I do have other tanks, this was just an idea for a potential Pico tank.

And do you have any suggestions on where to purchase Rock Flower Anemones?

Thank you for your help!
You can do it. I had them in a 2g Fluval that used to be sold long ago, before the current 3gal one for shrimp today. It's currently doing duty as a Betta tank for my spouse. I would ensure that you can address the flow and keep the tank reasonably clean. Also, you will need to consider occasionally feeding them since you won't be able to keep much of a fish in there.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it. I had them in a 2g Fluval that used to be sold long ago, before the current 3gal one for shrimp today. It's currently doing duty as a Betta tank for my spouse. I would ensure that you can address the flow and keep the tank reasonably clean. Also, you will need to consider occasionally feeding them since you won't be able to keep much of a fish in there.
Thank you for the reply! To keep the rank clean, I will be largely relying on water changes. I didn’t think that these guys needed that much flow,I thought it was more moderate for them. I am planning to have an AC30 on this tank, would that be enough, or would I need some kind of small pump in the tank as well?

Seattlguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish in there? My RFA started in a 5, added an 8, and now combining them into a 45. Mine move around when I randomly turn the light off at night.
I have emerald crabs, sexy shrimp, random tiny hermits. Would like to add some fish, but I read that gobies fight amongst themselves.
The RFA have already made babies (less than a yr) which is fun.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish in there? My RFA started in a 5, added an 8, and now combining them into a 45. Mine move around when I randomly turn the light off at night.
I have emerald crabs, sexy shrimp, random tiny hermits. Would like to add some fish, but I read that gobies fight amongst themselves.
The RFA have already made babies (less than a yr) which is fun.
Just an azure damselfish who refused to play nice in my 14g. He’s in there with a few sexy shrimp, an anemone crab and a porcelain crab along with my last Petersons anemone shrimp.

Mine move when conditions change but are usually pretty set after a while.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
If you're asking me, I went a little different direction. This tank ended up as a 10 gallon AIO for a Florida mantis. I decided not to try the RFA's when a more experience reefer told me they may harm the mantis.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're asking me, I went a little different direction. This tank ended up as a 10 gallon AIO for a Florida mantis. I decided not to try the RFA's when a more experience reefer told me they may harm the mantis.
There is no way an RFA harms a mantis. Mine host porcelain crabs and sexy shrimp. I’ve watched snails and tiny hermit crabs fall into RFAs and just walk right out.

An RFA harming a mantis shrimp would be like a Venus fly trap hurting a crow.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way an RFA harms a mantis. Mine host porcelain crabs and sexy shrimp. I’ve watched snails and tiny hermit crabs fall into RFAs and just walk right out.

An RFA harming a mantis shrimp would be like a Venus fly trap hurting a crow.
Thanks for your reply. When I first started looking into the mantis I looked into having FRA's in the tank with them. My plan is to do a kind of Caribbean theme with this tank. Most people said I'd be fine, but I believe it was @Stomatopods17 who cautioned against mixing my N. wennerae with RFA's.

Keep in mind my N. wennerae is a smaller mantis, my guy is all of about two inches long, so this is not a big peacock mantis.

I honestly would love some RFA's in the mantis tank, but I want to make sure the mantis is safe. I may be tempted to try one or two very small RFA's, but I don't know.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish fan, thanks for the update. I agree with the others that I can't see RFAs capturing a mantis shrimp but anything is possible. Sexy and Anemone shrimp are found on them all the time. I will say the only time I would be worried is when you feed the anemone, if the shrimp tries to steal the food. Was hoping you would of set it up as I was looking to do something similar. Good luck with the mantis tank as it sounds interesting. Do have a thread about it?

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish fan, thanks for the update. I agree with the others that I can't see RFAs capturing a mantis shrimp but anything is possible. Sexy and Anemone shrimp are found on them all the time. I will say the only time I would be worried is when you feed the anemone, if the shrimp tries to steal the food. Was hoping you would have set it up as I was looking to do something similar. Good luck with the mantis tank as it sounds interesting. Do have a thread about it?
The part about feeding the anemone and then having the mantis go after the anemone’s food was I think a big part of the concern. I know most people have said it would be fine, I just want the mantis to be safe.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the mantis is your priority then why tempt fate. Have you thought of putting anything else in there? Maybe some ricordias.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the mantis is your priority then why tempt fate. Have you thought of putting anything else in there? Maybe some ricordias.
I have been having a hard time keeping nitrates down in this tank because it's so small and the mantis is a messy eater. Right now, I'm having outbreaks of diatoms, cyanobacteria and some hair algae, so I'm not yet adding any other livestock until this stuff settles out. My tentative plan for the mantis tank is to make it kind of a Florida Gulf biotope, which is why I was interested in the RFA's. I have been trying to research what corals are native to that area, and I believe ricordias are. I think there's some varieties of zoa's from that area, and I had hope to get some more macro algae. If you know of any corals or anything else native to the Florida Gulf area, I'm open to suggestions.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure my RFA ate some very small hermit crabs (or else it was framed - 2 of them disappeared overnight and the shells were found right next to it...)

Ricordeas get another vote from me, come in a lot of colours and have a nice "anemone" look to them!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back