Rock flower anemone need help

Anytka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently got a rock flower anemone, it was perfect with no damage. I placed it in my tank and it hid for a few days. Then it started traveling and completely tore itself. Foot itself intact, but mouth and side is completely torn. Can it recover at is it going to die? Anything can be done?

image.jpg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's in pretty bad shape, it's unlikely to recover looking like that. I've only done cipro treatments on a couple rock nems, you could try but there isn't a lot of evidence to show it would help.

OP
OP
Anytka

Anytka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's in pretty bad shape, it's unlikely to recover looking like that. I've only done cipro treatments on a couple rock nems, you could try but there isn't a lot of evidence to show it would help.
Thank you so much, do you have any idea why an anemone will do this ? It was placed on a rock and it just started to squeeze itself and tearing?

Aquatic Lifeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate it?
Do you have any fish in your tank that might pick at it? Like butterfly fish?
When was the last time you tested your water? What lights are you running?
I could as a million more questions, bit let's start there.
It doesn't look like it will make a come back. I'm sorry. If it does that would be pretty incredible, please let us know if it does.
But, as soon as you start to see it turn to jelly you need to get it out ASAP because it will pollute your tank. And spike your nitrates.

OP
OP
Anytka

Anytka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate it?
Do you have any fish in your tank that might pick at it? Like butterfly fish?
When was the last time you tested your water? What lights are you running?
I could as a million more questions, bit let's start there.
It doesn't look like it will make a come back. I'm sorry. If it does that would be pretty incredible, please let us know if it does.
But, as soon as you start to see it turn to jelly you need to get it out ASAP because it will pollute your tank. And spike your nitrates.
Hi there, I have two clown fish, two pajama cardinals, orchid dottyback, and fire fish, the lights are that are on Biocube 32 and parameters were just checked with ph 8.2 , ammonia 0 nitrates 20, kh 10 phosphate 0 calcium 380 temp 78 I acclimated by just floating. Did not dip as was told not to dip anemone. It hid right away, but then started to travel and Shredded itself . The foot is intact though. I am completely new to the hobby and have not had any experience with anemone. I feel really bad ☹️

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't count it out just yet, they are pretty hardy creatures as far as anemones go. With that said, that one does not look good. Unless it starts to turn to jelly, leave it be.

If it is unstuck from the rocks, might want to try and place it at the base of the rocks where the sand meets the rock.

Aquatic Lifeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I have two clown fish, two pajama cardinals, orchid dottyback, and fire fish, the lights are that are on Biocube 32 and parameters were just checked with ph 8.2 , ammonia 0 nitrates 20, kh 10 phosphate 0 calcium 380 temp 78 I acclimated by just floating. Did not dip as was told not to dip anemone. It hid right away, but then started to travel and Shredded itself . The foot is intact though. I am completely new to the hobby and have not had any experience with anemone. I feel really bad ☹
Maybe the exclamation process was too rough on it? Invertebrates can be quite sensitive to acclimating to new environments. If it doesn't make it and you decide to go for a new one, I would recommend going on YouTube and watching a few videos on how to drip acclimate. There are many different ways to acclimate, especially between fish and invertebrates. But the acclamation process can be the most crucial. Also if the creature is wild caught or captive bread can make a complete difference. There is so much to learn about this hobby and you came to the right place, sometimes the best way to learn is their experience :)

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you acclimate it?
I’ve had and bred these guys for years. I have a 6” one that just recently made a trip THROUGH my rock, 1/2” hole opening and it was just fine. Unless something is very wrong that it was trying desperately to get away from, it will not rip itself. It doesn’t reproduce that way.
How old is your tank?
I also had one that was about 3” across shrivel up into the rock and become about 1/2” head. He hated life for about a month but then came back just as beautiful.
What clean up crew do you have? Some of them are sensitive to cuc. I have one that moved halfway across a tank because a hermit started munching near it lol
The things on your to do list should be to put it in an acclimation box with very little flow, no rock/rubble, and see what happens. If it starts to deteriorate, take it out. I’ve seen these guys come back from a lot of mistakes and oopsies. Don’t count it out until it starts melting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back