Rock Flower Anemone requirements

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower anemones are super easy. Really, just add water and they'll do fine. I suggest the tank being fully cycled for a few months, medium or low lighting, and moderate nutrients. Even high nutrients will be fine, anything under 20 ppm nitrate. They will find a place in the tank where the light and flow is appropriate, so don't worry about placement. While they are less likely to move than other anemones, they still have a good chance of walking a few inches to a better spot.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower anemones are super easy. Really, just add water and they'll do fine. I suggest the tank being fully cycled for a few months, medium or low lighting, and moderate nutrients. Even high nutrients will be fine, anything under 20 ppm nitrate. They will find a place in the tank where the light and flow is appropriate, so don't worry about placement. While they are less likely to move than other anemones, they still have a good chance of walking a few inches to a better spot.
Sounds encouraging. What do higher nitrates do to them? I am at 20 to 30 ppm. I have never done a significant water change since tank started on 9/7/22. I have done several 3 gallon changes in a 25 gallon tank.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit, when I needed to take my last tank down, I stopped maintenance. The nitrates got up to around 40ppm, and I lost a few torches and acans. As for my RFAs, I'd never seen them happier. I wouldn't be too worried about it, but I'd acclimate them for a long time in case they were coming out of water with low nitrates.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't need much. Some of mine moved, most didn't. The can go in anytime. No need to wait weeks.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do RFA's require in a tank? Size, lighting, nutrients, tank maturity, tank mates? What does it take to keep these successfully? Thanks!

RFAs are pretty much indestructible once they are established. I’ve owned hundred over the decades and the only thing I’ve seen kill an RFA are freezing temperatures , a damaged foot, or a peppermint shrimp.

Any lighting that is good enough to grow coral will be fine for them, and many of them are fine with higher lighting than you’d think. They are super adaptable. Same with flow, although they do not like to be directly pounded and will move spots.

Target feed them with some meaty foods (mysis, whatever you have on hand) once or twice a week. You’ll get to see their awesome feeding reaction, and it’ll help them pack on some size and promote breeding.

Finally, if one RFA is good, a squad of them is better. They are not able to be sexed unless you witness spawning, but getting a group of several should give you a good chance of having both males and a female for spawning. And if you’re in the US, don’t over pay for RFAs. Single nems will always be a little more, but the best bang for your buck is to buy in packs of 6-10! :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFAs are pretty much indestructible once they are established. I’ve owned hundred over the decades and the only thing I’ve seen kill an RFA are freezing temperatures , a damaged foot, or a peppermint shrimp.

Any lighting that is good enough to grow coral will be fine for them, and many of them are fine with higher lighting than you’d think. They are super adaptable. Same with flow, although they do not like to be directly pounded and will move spots.

Target feed them with some meaty foods (mysis, whatever you have on hand) once or twice a week. You’ll get to see their awesome feeding reaction, and it’ll help them pack on some size and promote breeding.

Finally, if one RFA is good, a squad of them is better. They are not able to be sexed unless you witness spawning, but getting a group of several should give you a good chance of having both males and a female for spawning. And if you’re in the US, don’t over pay for RFAs. Single nems will always be a little more, but the best bang for your buck is to buy in packs of 6-10! :)
Pretty much spot on right here ^^.

Also with a bunch of them, you'll eventually get babies if they are happy. Mine have spawned many times over the years. I started with 6, and now have more then 20 from spawning.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get 5 or 10? 5 for $100, shipping is $25, free shipping at $200. So I could save $25 by spending $75...

25 gallon lagoon tank. Mostly macro algae. Only one zoa frag. Ocean live rock. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 might be too many for a 25, depending on their size, and if they start to spawn.

I do like your way of economic thinking though. :D
Thanks, it is a disease I got from my wife...

New company for me to do business with, so I will be conservative and go with 5 to start. I bet they will be small, but I look forward to watching them grow. I am excited about this, I have struggled in the past with choosing corals that would do well in my systems, so I have high hopes for this outcome. Pics forthcoming! Thanks for all the advice and info.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it is a disease I got from my wife...

New company for me to do business with, so I will be conservative and go with 5 to start. I bet they will be small, but I look forward to watching them grow. I am excited about this, I have struggled in the past with choosing corals that would do well in my systems, so I have high hopes for this outcome. Pics forthcoming! Thanks for all the advice and info.

Before you order, you want to send me a message with the site you’re looking at? Are they 5 for $100 for ultras?

My normal RFA supplier has a wicked deal at the moment… better than those prices and for 10, and they are ultras. Send me a message if you want the info!

And also, I’d have like 100 in a 25 lagoon. One of my tanks is an IM 30L, and that one alone has somewhere around 60 in there.

2F6138C1-C30B-4E19-9F02-BEF85415BDC6.jpeg

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 5 delivered today, all in good shape. Very nice sizes and colorations. I am actually blown away by the quality here. Floated for 20 minutes, drip acclimated for an hour. They are opening up good. I have the wave maker turned off until they dig their feet in. How long does that take? Hours? Days? Pictures to follow...

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 5 delivered today, all in good shape. Very nice sizes and colorations. I am actually blown away by the quality here. Floated for 20 minutes, drip acclimated for an hour. They are opening up good. I have the wave maker turned off until they dig their feet in. How long does that take? Hours? Days? Pictures to follow...

Usually 30 minutes or less before they stick their foot down. Post some pictures when they settle in!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back