Rock flower spawning sequence and time line

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd anyone's interested. My rock flowers spawned again and I caught the sequence on camera, knowing what to look for this time. My males seem to spawn more often than the females are accepting of it.

The male starts to radar dish before lights go out. The skirt comes up and then he does this:
PXL_20230822_014758945.jpg

The next day the female kinda did this weird thing around the same time.
PXL_20230823_015834025.jpg

Sometime at night or the next day they release eggs, this is what they look like:
PXL_20230119_002633672.jpg

In a couple days they are a weird sack like this:
PXL_20230121_014234776.jpg

And about a week after that, I start spotting some new babies kinda all over , it's the small dot next to the pinky nail sized baby from my last spawn
PXL_20230902_142212997.jpg

They kinda float around the tank and almost look like a stalk from GSP or something. They develop at different speeds at this point depending on where they settle. They moved around quite a bit in this stalk/baby stage but then seem to pick a spot and stay. All on the rocks, none in the sand so far. I catch them kinda floating around the tank.
PXL_20221107_220640886.jpg

They so far do it about once every six months. I got no babies from my first spawn that survived and then spawns 2 and 3 seem to have all survive so far. Like 10 babies each time

I am no expert, but me and my buddies tank spawn at the same time so I've seen it a few times and it seems to follow the same rhythm and stages. My babies only are mixtures of the mom and dad. No random colors. I have a male a female that spawn all the time and one that just never really got any bigger than mid sized and that ones displayed no spawning behavior at all. I don't know if they somehow establish a hierarchy or something but I find it weird the other one has done nothing and been in there the longest. Like it's stuck in a juvenile stage. The male I got was attached to the same rock as him and I swear was trying to kill the smaller one. But that's just a guess from observation

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Mine RFAs recently spawned as well.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did yours get any new colors? I got new patterns and some duplicates but no new colors
Similarly I also got duplicates. One or two were duplicates of some of the brighter colored RFAs so I'm pleased.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you tell the sex? I only have one but looking to get a few more.
My understanding is that there are not any external visuals, rather their sex is identified by behavior.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please know that @Ron Reefman has posted a lot of great content about RFAs so I encourage you to use the R2R search feature to look up some of his threads and posts.

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please know that @Ron Reefman has posted a lot of great content about RFAs so I encourage you to use the R2R search feature to look up some of his threads and posts.
Interesting read, he says it takes a month to get the eggs going, after the male spawns, I think maybe I missed a spawn in-between or something. Which would be cool. I was trying to decide what encrusting or zoa's to put between my corals and I think it's just gonna be rfa's

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFA spawns can be missed fairly easily. They almost always happen in the early evening and good filtration will clear the tank of the white cloud pretty quickly. Every time I saw the spawn happen, I shut down all the filtration and 95% of the flow in hopes that it would settle down on some of the female RFAs.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting info, I have two that are doing really well. They immediately settled next to each other on a small rock and haven't moved for six months. No signs of spawning.
Screenshot_20230906-083125_Gallery.jpg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a spawning event last Wednesday. It lasted longer than usual. I always turn off the return pumps for a couple of hours and just leave the power heads on. I also leave the protein skimmer off until the next day.

Target feeding the babies helps improve survival rates.

IMG_4893.jpeg

IMG_4606.jpeg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting info, I have two that are doing really well. They immediately settled next to each other on a small rock and haven't moved for six months. No signs of spawning.
Screenshot_20230906-083125_Gallery.jpg

You just need to get a dozen more :D

Target feeding them at least once a week will help improve the frequency of spawning in my experience.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen mine spawn every couple months. No real timeline as I have never actually written it down to track it, but typically every few months they will spawn.

I currently have I don't know, somewhere around 50 babies. To me it looks like I have 1 female and many males. I have seen all but 1 of mine "blowing smoke", and that single one will "cup up"(for lack of a better term) to accept the sperm.

All of my babies look like replicas of the adults. or some color variation of the adults.

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFA spawns can be missed fairly easily. They almost always happen in the early evening and good filtration will clear the tank of the white cloud pretty quickly. Every time I saw the spawn happen, I shut down all the filtration and 95% of the flow in hopes that it would settle down on some of the female RFAs.
Makes sense, I have no filtration except a Refugium , and I've tried to minimize what goes over my overflow in general. Very fun anemone to keep, plus I went from 3 to 20 in a year, if they continue it's gonna look really cool

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have not seen mine spawn but I have babies appearing at random places in the tank. I guess I need to watch them more closely
The radar dish at almost lights out is a dead giveaway it's going down

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen mine spawn every couple months. No real timeline as I have never actually written it down to track it, but typically every few months they will spawn.

I currently have I don't know, somewhere around 50 babies. To me it looks like I have 1 female and many males. I have seen all but 1 of mine "blowing smoke", and that single one will "cup up"(for lack of a better term) to accept the sperm.

All of my babies look like replicas of the adults. or some color variation of the adults.
We gotta put together a female trading program or something to get the color variations going

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd anyone's interested. My rock flowers spawned again and I caught the sequence on camera, knowing what to look for this time. . . . I have a male a female that spawn all the time and one that just never really got any bigger than mid sized and that ones displayed no spawning behavior at all. I don't know if they somehow establish a hierarchy or something but I find it weird the other one has done nothing and been in there the longest. Like it's stuck in a juvenile stage. The male I got was attached to the same rock as him and I swear was trying to kill the smaller one. But that's just a guess from observation

Congradulations! :D

If it's any consoltation, the Stienhart Aquarium's breeding progrram with Acropora millipora has results from only about half the colonies.

Have you thought about turning off all the water pumps when they spawn for a couple days and just use air bubbles for circulation?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back