Rock flower

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I personally don't dip em, but I'm new to the hobby, so I could be doing it all wrong lol. Tagging @Ron Reefman for his thoughts since he's got a ton of RFA experience

Upvote 0

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m new to this as well and searched R2R to find out what to do. It appears that several people dipped theirs without knowing whether they should or not, with no ill effects and others that didn’t dip and also didn’t have any problems.

Mine arrived in a plastic bag with no rock/plug and it looked very clean so I just put it straight in the tank. With no rock and no skeleton I’m not sure how easy it would be for anything to hitchhike in on it, but I’m also following to hear what the experts think I should have done!

Upvote 0

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dip anemones. They might handle it fine but they don't usually come on rock or frag plugs that can harbor pests and I'm not aware of any anemone specific pests, though they probably exist.

Upvote 0

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dip rock flowers like a coral??

Following. I personally don't dip em, but I'm new to the hobby, so I could be doing it all wrong lol. Tagging @Ron Reefman for his thoughts since he's got a ton of RFA experience

Thanks for asking. Let me start by being open here and admitting that I don't normally dip anything that ends up in my tanks. However, almost everything that goes into my tanks spends some time in a holding tank. And some things spend a long time in holding tanks... as in months. I have a collection of 5g, 10g. 20g and 40g tanks that I set up as needed to hold new stock (purchased or wild collected by me).

I've probably purchased 40+ RFAs over the last 5 years. And I've brought a dozen wild collected RFAs and a few Curly-cue anemones home from snorkel trips to the Florida Keys. I've also picked up off the beaches of Sanibel and Lovers Key, a dozen other species of anemones that have been washed up after storms brings strong west winds.

They all go into a holding tank (not really a quarantine tank) for at least a day or two. The holding tank is just that. I do not do any medications or special treatments in my holding tanks. They just run with a HOB filter and a wavemaker and regular water changes. Some anemones, like the ones I've found on the beach (some after a red tide) spend more time in a tank by themselves, some up to a month (the ones saved from the red tide).

None of them ever brought any kind of pests with them and I never dipped any of them. I don't think (but I don't claim to be an expert related to dipping) it would do any serious harm. But on the other hand, anemones are made up by a huge percentage of water, that it is possible they survive a dip, but that it may be hard on them.

I hope that helps some?

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back