OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Anyone know what the long sweepers are from? They look like grapes on a rope. I'm not exactly sure what the white nest is from that has the pods roaming around in it.

OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galaxy S6 with the built-in light. Flush against the glass. Just have to make sure the focal point is not too close. I have a clip-on macro setup as well but there's quite a bit of distortion. I get better resolution from the built-in digital magnification than the macro lens. I also get better metering on this phone than on my D5300. :D

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I'd love if people would comment with minute:second identification of what is on the screen.

OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I'd love if people would comment with minute:second identification of what is on the screen.

I can annotate on the video but I just wanted to get it online. I'll edit the video tonight and annotate some of the critters that I can identify. Stomatellas are all over the place and look like miniature Turbo snails with flat shells. The small snails that are dotted are Collonista snails. I'm pretty sure the little black bugs that you see running around are copepods. The amphipods that I have in there don't come out that often and stay in the rockwork. Or they've all been eaten at this point and I need to re-populate. LOL

OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow boxes don't show text unless you hover your mouse over them. Less intrusive for the smaller stuff.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'pods you noted that "don't look like amphipods" look like munnid isopods to me.

I had a lot of those while my tank was fallow, but now I have wrasses and dragonets, so . . .

Delightful video - thanks for sharing your "night dive" with us!

~Bruce

fightingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! Have you made an effort to stock you tank as such, or is this the natural process of a well functioning reef tank? I'm new to the game, just doing my Research!

OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! Have you made an effort to stock you tank as such, or is this the natural process of a well functioning reef tank? I'm new to the game, just doing my Research!

The rock life is 100% introduced. I have a mix of dry and live reef saver with a few chunks of Fuji rock. I added live mixed pods, emerald and scarlet crabs as well as various snails but that's all as far as specific species. The rest was introduced from the LFS live rock or live Fuji rock I bought. The asterinas, collonistas and stomatellas hitched a ride in and just multiplied. I also have aiptasia and small yellow polys taking over the rock in a few areas so I'm rotating and rearranging the rock periodically and spot treating stuff that appears to be uncontrolled. If the aiptasia is visible from the peppermint's home they'll eventually eat it. They won't wander out on the "lawn" so to speak to eat the visible stuff. I don't care what the rock looks like as long as the fish and coral are happy. The less I have to maintain manually the better for the eco setup.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back