Rock nem excreting brown junk

  • Thread starter Thread starter ahiggins
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
3,397
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
morning all!
So yesterday I noticed that my rock nem was excreting some brown stuff, wasn't closed or anything so I wrote it off as pooping.
Then this morning I woke up and he was closed but the "poop" wasn't coming from his mouth. Since he was closed I saw it was coming from His skin, not his mouth or feelers. Pic will show it better.
I did see one of my red leg hermits next to him yesterday...could he have been munching on him?! Since there's no fish in this setup yet, the tank only gets fed when I feed the nems. About once a week.
Anyone have any idea? My other two Rock nems are totally fine and loving life.
 
It could be shedding some slime anemones produce a lot of slime this is resin from a carpet anemone I have all nems I've seen do this and he could still be popping or splitting if he's deflating like that I'd give him a day or 2 before you worry about him
 
That's exactly what it looks like!
Why do they do that?
 
Could be expelling zooxanthellae or waste. I've seen different causes including being burnt by lights, after eating, etc. I would keep a pretty close eye on it as it doesn't look super happy. You can suck it out with a turkey baster if you want.
 
its odd
It will go 3-5 days normal then a day like that. its done it twice so far. my others havent at all
he seems happy today, so i guess its just poo
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new