Rock nems never move?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question @Peace River.

I think all of the above is true to one extent or another. They can and do move.

However, given a proper placement, they are VERY inclined to stay put. Placed on a rock, even with a good hole for the foot, they are much more likely to move than if they can attach their foot to a rock just below the level of the sand and keep their head up above the sand. In pvc end caps, placed in the sand, they are very unlikely to move. I have babies that have attached to the outside of a pvc end cap and under the umbrella of one of the parents and still haven't moved. Now that I've moved them to a holding tank while I set up a new tank, they have all moved! But the ones that have been inside pvc end caps long term already have stayed in place for the week they have been in the holding tank (no sand).

BTW, when I was moving them from the DT to the holding tank I had an older baby that was just in the sand. The head was just on the surface and the stalk/trunk/stem of the nem stretched 3" and had it's foot firmly attached to the bottom glass!
My only rfa has done just that. I placed right next to a rock that was partially buried. Nope it attached to the glass.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As early in the summer as you can. We visit the Keys in late May, June and July almost every year. The water is warming up by May and afternoon thunderstorms are just getting started in early July. Hurricane potential is still quite low. By late July and thru August and September the water is toasty warm and everything underwater is on full display. It's a wonderful time to snorkel. But then afternoon thunderstorms are almost a daily feature and hurricane possibilities are at their peak potential.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country are you living in now? I ask because my wife and I have taken 3 serious vacations in the last 13 months. And as thin blooded Floridians, we when places that were cold. The opposite of what you might be doing by going to the Keys in June!

Albuquerque in September was chilly (upper 30s) at sunrise for watching the Balloon Fiesta. Churchill, Manitoba was 37 degrees below zero at 11pm to watch the Aurora Borealis (northern lights). And we just got back from Moab, Utah were we were out before sunrise 4 mornings in a row to get quality photos of arches and canyons and when I took this one, about 30 minutes after sunrise, it was 11 degrees (see the apparel in the 2nd photo).

Shortly after sunrise, for about an hour, the rising sun (behind the arch) reflects of the red rocks at the base of the 300 foot cliff just through the arch and the underside of the arch glows almost a fluorescent orange due to indirect sunlight. It was an amazing site. I've since talked to 3 people who have been to Mesa Arch and they had no idea this was possible as they saw it in the afternoon.

1 DSCN8074 R1.jpg

On nice days 200 to 300 people gather here to take sunrise photos. It's hard to get a photo of the arch without people in the picture. But do it on a morning that it's 11 degrees outside and it cuts the crowd down to about 50 people (about 25 in this photo) And 16 of this 50 were our travel group and 3 professional photographers we had as instructor/guides. ;) :cool: ;Happy

DSCN8085.JPG
We live in Cleveland, but I would argue I’m not well suited to cold weather either we normally vacation in rodanthe on the outer banks NC. I love it there but we also go in May when the prices are lower lol last week of off season pricing. I would really like to go when we can swim and not freeze, make it an all around amazing time.
I can’t imagine it would be that expensive to come down for a long weekend, the drive would be atrocious but doable lol (up here it’s normal to drive up to about 14-15 hours before considering flying).
I just had a coworker pass away while on Sanibel island last week, heart wrenching story but that’s really all I know about it unfortunately.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! And that rock formation-gorgeous. I recognize it so it must be pretty popular :)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved to Cape Coral (just west of Ft Myers) from Columbus, OH. I did 3 round trips in 3 weeks, all 3 with a mini van and 2 of them towing a trailer! Those were 20 hour drives, but I was 20 years younger back then. ;Hilarious

I think from Cleveland to the Middle Keys would be a 20 to 22 hour drive (1300+ miles). I'd suggest a drive from Cleveland to Atlanta or Macon, GA. and then to the Marathon in the Keys the next day. But with 2 people to share the drive, it could be done straight thru. Make a week of it and with a stop in Atlanta to spend a day at the Georgia Aquarium. We drove up to Atlanta for a weekend just to see the Georgia Aquarium. It's very cool. BTW, a nice, clean, very reasonably priced place to stay in Marathon is the Blackfin Resort. It's more of a mom & pop motel. But it has a small marina, a tiny beach, a tiny island just 100 yards off shore that is fun to snorkel and they get great sunsets. Google them and you can see their website.

Sorry to hear about the loss of a co-worker. Sanibel is a very nice, but expensive island just west of us. It takes us about 35 minutes to get from our house to Algiers Beach on Sanibel, but for the first 10 minutes we have to go east to get off the cape and head southwest to Sanibel.

If you have any questions or want more advise, please feel free to ask here or PM me if that's more comfortable for you. I always want people who go to the Keys to have as good a time as possible. We enjoy it so much we do 3 to 5 long weekends a year and it's a 4 to 5 hour drive each way.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just so happens that I have family in Ballground Georgia ;)
I’ll definitely PM you when it gets warmer

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just so happens that I have family in Ballground Georgia ;)
I’ll definitely PM you when it gets warmer

Cool! Ball Ground, GA is halfway between I-75 and Gainesville, GA. I used to go to SCCA National Championship Amateur Sports Car races at Road Atlanta.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone is still with me here, I noticed the upside down guy on the move (foot not buried) and took the chance to move him manually.
I was able to get my nail under his foot and gently work that until he was all the way off the rock. Put him down by the sand but still on rock :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back