ROCK POOL REEF KEEPERS GROUP

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
When I was watching the video I thought man he has a lot of time on his hands!
I am running out of ideas definitely fancy a jelly fish tank but until I see them washed up that won’t be happening
Going to start doing videos at the rock pooling days out but I never done them before so it could be one big mess lol . I will need a swear bleep box

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am running out of ideas definitely fancy a jelly fish tank but until I see them washed up that won’t be happening
Going to start doing videos at the rock pooling days out but I never done them before so it could be one big mess lol . I will need a swear bleep box
A beautiful Man of War tank?

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Paul almost has as many tanks as you!
You must admit he has some lovely tanks
I would move in there and live full time well maybe a beer on a Friday night lol
I know you have stunning fish shops over there
as well but to
IMG_1237.jpeg
IMG_1241.jpeg
IMG_1233.jpeg
be honest I think we are behind you in reefing but catching up and that is due to the internet. I like the old school tanks stack your live rock up find holes for your corals. I don’t think I have never glued rocks together waste of glue in my opinion. I still love a high quality canister filter . Love live rock never used dry rock ever. I hate paying for it but in my opinion that is half your success buying live Rock. Still love T5s but when I started you got standard tube lights then they went too t5s I like them not made my mind up about L E D
Maybe in years to come L e ds will be a thing of the past. Anyway I am just chattering on but not everyone will agree with my views but that’s life. It’s hard to get out of the old school methods believe it or not we had no information apart from a magazine I bought once a month if I was lucky. Really we were blind folded in them days it all came down to trail and error most times error .
I have only one photo from the early days and it rubbish focus but will give you a idea what my reef looked like this reef really after a year it ran its self really apart from dosing salfert All in one .

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
You must admit he has some lovely tanks
I would move in there and live full time well maybe a beer on a Friday night lol
I know you have stunning fish shops over there
as well but to
IMG_1237.jpeg
IMG_1241.jpeg
IMG_1233.jpeg
be honest I think we are behind you in reefing but catching up and that is due to the internet. I like the old school tanks stack your live rock up find holes for your corals. I don’t think I have never glued rocks together waste of glue in my opinion. I still love a high quality canister filter . Love live rock never used dry rock ever. I hate paying for it but in my opinion that is half your success buying live Rock. Still love T5s but when I started you got standard tube lights then they went too t5s I like them not made my mind up about L E D
Maybe in years to come L e ds will be a thing of the past. Anyway I am just chattering on but not everyone will agree with my views but that’s life. It’s hard to get out of the old school methods believe it or not we had no information apart from a magazine I bought once a month if I was lucky. Really we were blind folded in them days it all came down to trail and error most times error .
I have only one photo from the early days and it rubbish focus but will give you a idea what my reef looked like this reef really after a year it ran its self really apart from dosing salfert All in one .
You described my first 16 years of reefing. I’ve never used anything but live rock and never will, just stack!

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
I recently got back from school and my PB tang had some white spots. I tried to just ignore it (I know this was stupid). The next day the spots were worse and my hippo tang had them too. I finally set up a qt tank with the same water, I treated it with copper and it hasn't been really helpful, first my hippo died, then my PB, then my 2 firefish. All I have left is a pair of clowns (one is badly infected), my leopard wrasse (doesn't look too good), and my shrimp in the display tank. How do I just get thru this w/o quitting. This is so annoying and idk what to do

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
I recently got back from school and my PB tang had some white spots. I tried to just ignore it (I know this was stupid). The next day the spots were worse and my hippo tang had them too. I finally set up a qt tank with the same water, I treated it with copper and it hasn't been really helpful, first my hippo died, then my PB, then my 2 firefish. All I have left is a pair of clowns (one is badly infected), my leopard wrasse (doesn't look too good), and my shrimp in the display tank. How do I just get thru this w/o quitting. This is so annoying and idk what to do
I am going to give you two people that have different approaches too keep marine fish between theses two people you’re getting a vast knowledge and experience combined
I have learned a lot my self from both of theses people @PaulB and @vetteguy53081 theses two can help you with your situation at the moment

xunhe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The next day the spots were worse and my hippo tang had them too. I finally set up a qt tank with the same water, I treated it with copper and it hasn't been really helpful, first my hippo died, then my PB, then my 2 firefish. All I have left is a pair of clowns (one is badly infected), my leopard wrasse (doesn't look too good), and my shrimp in the display tank. How do I just get thru this w/o quitting. This is so annoying and idk what to do
I think the copper may have poisoned the fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Never ignore, dots, spots, blemishes, heavy breathing and loss of appetite.
The reason you lose this many fish quickly will be disease or water quality. Being that you saw dots, they will multiply every 24 hours and when youve seen the dots, they have been there several days and have reached the tromont stage.
Coppersafe will take 2-3 days to start to work and with pre-existing cysts, it at times may be too late. Once working, coppersafe is effective. You MUST monitor copper with a reliable test kit such as Hanna brand. Lately, there are many that are going by drops or m/l and are overdosing which too will kill your fish.
It's Not difficult to do the treatment but it Must be Precise.
Other error you made was setting up the quarantine with tank water which was already infected with protozoan,. In essence, you reintroduced them into the QT tank. ALWAYS use clean/sterile water for quarantine

Last edited:

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Never ignore, dots, spots, blemishes, heavy breathing and loss of appetite.
The reason you lose this many fish quickly will be disease or water quality. Being that you saw dots, they will multiply every 24 hours and when youve seen the dots, they have been there several days and have reached the tromont stage.
Coppersafe will take 2-3 days to start to work and with pre-existing cysts, it at times may be too late. Once working, coppersafe is effective. You MUST monitor copper with a reliable test kit such as Hanna brand. Lately, there are many that are going by drops or m/l and are overdosing which too will kill your fish.
It's Not difficult to do the treatment but it Must be Precise.
Other error you made was setting up the quarantine with tank water which was already infected with protozoan,. In essence, you reintroduced them into the QT tank. ALWAYS use clean/sterile water for quarantine
I realize that I have made a few BIG mistakes after reading this. I didn't qt the fish when i got them either... What do you suggest I do now to keep my clowns and wrasse alive?

xunhe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I realize that I have made a few BIG mistakes after reading this. I didn't qt the fish when i got them either... What do you suggest I do now to keep my clowns and wrasse alive?
I think the most natural way is to prepare two tanks, put the sick fish into one of the tank first, and then move the sick fish to the other tank after 3 days.
Then drain all the seawater in the original tank, rinse it with fresh water, and dry it in the sun. Feed the fish again after three days.
, this action will be repeated about 4 times.

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
I would love to see these videos

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Continue to medicate and dump the tank water and reset with new water in QT. If budget allows, get a UV sterilizer for display tank and have it run during fallow period and for protection of future introduced fish.
Monitor ammonia levels in the QT tank and add aeration using air stone

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Continue to medicate and dump the tank water and reset with new water in QT. If budget allows, get a UV sterilizer for display tank and have it run during fallow period and for protection of future introduced fish.
Monitor ammonia levels in the QT tank and add aeration using air stone
I have a filter spilling over that should add enough aeration. I have drops to monitor ammonia but nothing else. I am trying to decide what I need in a UV sterilizer. Is there one you would recommend?

Back