Rock safe to use??

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I bought a complete rsr 525xl system from another reefer. I got the aquascape also.

The rock was overrun with vermitid snails. I means thousands and thousands. The rock felt like picking up a cactus lol.
Anyways the rock was sitting outside for months. Then I bought and I bleached in very high concentration of bleach for a week. Tonight I power washed it. I couldn’t get all the vermitid shells off the rock.

I am sitting here picking some off with bone cutters and they all seem empty.

Question is, will this rock be safe to use when I transfer all my stuff from other aquarium to this new one? Will there be a lot of nutrients in this rock, or is everything dead? Should I do a acid bath also? Below is some photos.

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 35

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite the infestation! Bleach should be enough without nutrient spikes in my experience. The organics should be broken down but a 24 hour soak in freshwater and test for ammonia can be done to confirm.

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool! I bleached for a whole week. I let it sit in fresh water for a couple days and I power washed tonight. I also plan on putting again into freshwater and using some prime just in case.

OP
OP
C

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo I am in a bind. This rock had a little bit of monti that was dead on it. I chipped them off last night and behold, there was some algae under it. I guess the bleach didn’t penetrate it because it was such a tight seal.

What should I do? If I put this in the tank will it kill everything? Or should I bleach this again for a week? Cycle this rock in a trash can for a while?

Attachments

• 0A4FD755-4D43-4E66-AACD-EA50A7D9C34B.png
    0A4FD755-4D43-4E66-AACD-EA50A7D9C34B.png
    979.2 KB · Views: 38
Back