Rock work changes????

Stew18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a reef aquarium for a year and half. Started with a 20 and now have a 40. This may seem like a ignorant question but I am trying to learn and not screw up as much :)

About every 3-4 months I like to rearrange my rock work. It just is something new to look at. I imagine if I was a fish maybe it would be cool to have a little different environment every now and then.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this bad for the tank or the fish?

Thank you

Jayman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually is not a good thing to do. Your fish would be happier if u left the rocks alone..

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Member change their scapes around all the time.

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest issue I can see is potentially stirring up something nasty in the sand bed or ending up with unstable rock work.

I guess it also depends on inhabitants. Some fish are more easily stressed than others.

Jayman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest issue I can see is potentially stirring up something nasty in the sand bed or ending up with unstable rock work.

I guess it also depends on inhabitants. Some fish are more easily stressed than others.
That is true.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep coral the constant changing of rock work changes the growing conditions all the time. So they are always trying to adjust to the new flow and light conditions. So in this situation it is not a good thing as corals like consistency. For fish it can help reduce aggression if you added new fish. But it can also lead to stress with their home being destroyed all the time. This can lead to aggression for fighting for new space and a reduced immune system from the stress so it can lead to illness. It can also cause nutrient issues from always disturbing the rocks and substrate. Moving your tank around in saltwater is not always the best thing to do as consistency is the key to a stable system.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back