Rock work changes????

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stew18
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Stew18

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 15, 2015
Messages
235
Reaction score
54
Location
WASHINGTON
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a reef aquarium for a year and half. Started with a 20 and now have a 40. This may seem like a ignorant question but I am trying to learn and not screw up as much :)

About every 3-4 months I like to rearrange my rock work. It just is something new to look at. I imagine if I was a fish maybe it would be cool to have a little different environment every now and then.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this bad for the tank or the fish?

Thank you
 
It actually is not a good thing to do. Your fish would be happier if u left the rocks alone..
 
Member change their scapes around all the time.
 
Biggest issue I can see is potentially stirring up something nasty in the sand bed or ending up with unstable rock work.

I guess it also depends on inhabitants. Some fish are more easily stressed than others.
 
Biggest issue I can see is potentially stirring up something nasty in the sand bed or ending up with unstable rock work.

I guess it also depends on inhabitants. Some fish are more easily stressed than others.
That is true.
 
If you keep coral the constant changing of rock work changes the growing conditions all the time. So they are always trying to adjust to the new flow and light conditions. So in this situation it is not a good thing as corals like consistency. For fish it can help reduce aggression if you added new fish. But it can also lead to stress with their home being destroyed all the time. This can lead to aggression for fighting for new space and a reduced immune system from the stress so it can lead to illness. It can also cause nutrient issues from always disturbing the rocks and substrate. Moving your tank around in saltwater is not always the best thing to do as consistency is the key to a stable system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new