OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a lot of replies! I was expecting much less of a welcome!

Pictures! YES!! About that. Right now my tank has just finished the 'almost aquascaped' stage... I'll take a few photos tonight when I get off work. Bland dry rock isnt photogenic, but it does show 'progress'

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did promise pictures, and I try not to disappoint! My first mistake of the new year!

20200102_220142.jpg

Yep, it's a calcium snowstorm! Red Sea Coral Pro salt and time constraints do not a happy tank make!

This is a lot better than it looked this morning, let me tell you. Thankfully there's nothing alive in there except bacteria!

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, fellow Rockford Reefer here also.

I travel to Rockford at least 4 times a year. Never noticed any LFS or resources of any kind there.

Do you locals know of any shops near, but not in Rockford (within 20 minutes or so, not closer to Chicago)? I’d love to include a little shopping or visiting there. Even a freshwater place. Something? Anything?

Or a place with bonsai trees? Best food in town? Good shops in general that are uniquely local?

Actually going to be there this afternoon. Let me know! Thanks!

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel to Rockford at least 4 times a year. Never noticed any LFS or resources of any kind there.
There's two LFS of note, we don't include Petco. Waynes Feed off of Auburn, and the Petland near Cherry Valley.
We used to have others, but Rockford isn't kind to small businesses or niche markets.

Do you locals know of any shops near, but not in Rockford (within 20 minutes or so, not closer to Chicago)? I’d love to include a little shopping or visiting there. Even a freshwater place. Something? Anything?
Not that I'm personally aware of. If I need anything it's internet, amazon, or a 40 minute drive north, thirty minute drive east, or an hour south.

Or a place with bonsai trees? Best food in town? Good shops in general that are uniquely local?

Actually going to be there this afternoon. Let me know! Thanks!
Best food in town depends on the food you like. The Irish Rose used to be good... recently their quality has diminished, but they're still better than most. The best mexican food is on a roach coach... hands down best Torta I've ever had. I hear they've just opened an actual storefront, but I don't know where it is yet. Greenfire is up in Loves Park off Riverside near Perryville... Fantastic food, great service. Three sisters is a Thai place downtown, they make spicy flavorful, rather than just hot.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 67 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back