Rockford Illinois Waterkeeper

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's two LFS of note, we don't include Petco. Waynes Feed off of Auburn, and the Petland near Cherry Valley.
We used to have others, but Rockford isn't kind to small businesses or niche markets.

Not that I'm personally aware of. If I need anything it's internet, amazon, or a 40 minute drive north, thirty minute drive east, or an hour south.

Best food in town depends on the food you like. The Irish Rose used to be good... recently their quality has diminished, but they're still better than most. The best mexican food is on a roach coach... hands down best Torta I've ever had. I hear they've just opened an actual storefront, but I don't know where it is yet. Greenfire is up in Loves Park off Riverside near Perryville... Fantastic food, great service. Three sisters is a Thai place downtown, they make spicy flavorful, rather than just hot.

Do Wayne’s or Petland carry any nicer gear, or even middle of the road gear? Neptune, kessil, AI, Ecotech, decent pumps, nicer sumps, etc.? If not, what are the closest stores that do stock more advanced gear like that? I know most of us use BRS & other online shops, but something about being able to check out gear in person makes a big difference.

OP
OP
StatelineReefer

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Wayne’s or Petland carry any nicer gear, or even middle of the road gear? Neptune, kessil, AI, Ecotech, decent pumps, nicer sumps, etc.? If not, what are the closest stores that do stock more advanced gear like that? I know most of us use BRS & other online shops, but something about being able to check out gear in person makes a big difference.
Nah, I have to go up to Madison or closer to Chicago if I want to see good gear in action. This town is a saltwater dead zone.

Ucyibd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel to Rockford at least 4 times a year. Never noticed any LFS or resources of any kind there.

Do you locals know of any shops near, but not in Rockford (within 20 minutes or so, not closer to Chicago)? I’d love to include a little shopping or visiting there. Even a freshwater place. Something? Anything?

Or a place with bonsai trees? Best food in town? Good shops in general that are uniquely local?

Actually going to be there this afternoon. Let me know! Thanks!
New shop open on N. Main St. called Main Reed Specialties. Nice shop, corals, fish, supplies. Check them out if you can. Will be my go to when I need something...he will order stuff in for ya too! Look’em up on the book.

dru312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel to Rockford at least 4 times a year. Never noticed any LFS or resources of any kind there.

Do you locals know of any shops near, but not in Rockford (within 20 minutes or so, not closer to Chicago)? I’d love to include a little shopping or visiting there. Even a freshwater place. Something? Anything?

Or a place with bonsai trees? Best food in town? Good shops in general that are uniquely local?

Actually going to be there this afternoon. Let me know! Thanks!

I just found this place a month ago. The only one in Rockford worth visiting.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R!!!

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 7 months late to the welcome party but nevertheless...

Welcome to R2R and happy reefing!

giphy.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.... ;)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%

Back