RODI Carbon, Problem?

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that there was rust colored discoloration on the carbon block wrapper and also a black substance in the bottom of the carbon canister. The best description of the black substance I can think of is if you blew black powder on a spider web. My prefilter was in need of changing but was not as clogged as I’ve seen in the past. Any idea of what would cause this?
BRS 7 Stage-
1- BRS Pre Filter
2- BRS 5 Micron Carbon
3- BRS 1 Micron Carbon
4- Dual RO Membranes
5-7 Pro DI Resins
180-220 TDS In
0 TDS Out

A pic of the block and canister

12376DFB-537D-4E63-BE44-7E39EFD82149.jpeg 31D61C84-B1CB-4BE8-9DA7-0271D823F063.jpeg BF0B2EE8-38A7-4B89-8E71-C1722D5F24DB.jpeg 68B2E287-395C-4FDF-8250-1F68112E5553.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the rust coloring on my prefilter once a year when my local town is flushing out the mains. I assume it's just sand, or minor rust from the old pipes under the road. My tap water has a lot sand in it around this time, and a funny rusty smell to it.

The black "webs" I'm going to assume is just carbon dust.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the rust coloring on my prefilter once a year when my local town is flushing out the mains. I assume it's just sand, or minor rust from the old pipes under the road. My tap water has a lot sand in it around this time, and a funny rusty smell to it.

The black "webs" I'm going to assume is just carbon dust.
The rust colored splotches are on the 5 micron carbon block, just for clarification. Which if the prefilter was leaching a little thru somewhere could explain that. However with the noticeable carbon dust, I wanted to throw the question out there in case it may have been a sign of a more serious element in the city water causing a breakdown in the filter medias.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry looked at the pics wrong. Though the rust was on the prefilter.
Similar color to prefilter media and the “crude” it catches is normally the similar color too. Rust splotches were on 2nd canister with the 5 micron carbon, and the carbon “dust” was only noticed in the third canister.

Do you rinse the carbon blocks prior to installation? It is recommended to rinse.
I normally due, but maybe I missed rinsing them when I changed to these filters 4 months ago. I have already changed the prefilter and both carbon since finding the discoloring. I did rinse the newly installed.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thinking was the "dusty webs" in the bottom of the canister are fines and you forgot to rinse them out(I've done it too even after 20 years in the hobby lol). The rust color has me stumped. But as long as your water coming out was 0. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back