RODI Container in Hot Garage!

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I don't know if I should move my RODI can. I hope I don't have to because I don't know where I put it. But I live in Florida. It is getting HOT outside. My RODI is in the garage but the garage gets hot. I have a brute can with a lid but I noticed today when I went to go get water the water smells fine but the can smells musty. I emptied the can and wiped it out and made enough water to fill my top off. I need to do a water change the next couple of days but I don't want to have to fill make enough water for changes and top off. I like having the can have water in it so if I need it I don't have to wait. Is it a bad idea to have the can with water in it if the garage is going to get hot.? Is the water gonna go bad?

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a small powerhead in there. Noting big like one of the AquaClear ones from Petco. Not sure about the temp of it. I guess I am gonna have to check it a couple times a day. I mean we are getting to where it is getting up to 90+ outside. So if I can keep the water under 80 degrees it will be ok? Is the can gonna grow mold in it? I do not keep the can full.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let the water get stagnant and you should be fine. I just wouldn't use water hotter than your DT, cool it down if it get to that point.

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I only go through about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon a day and I have 1 gallon jugs from BRS that I fill up and stick in the closet so they are room temp abotu 76-77. Try to keep the tank at 78.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 23 gallon topoff container and RO/DI are in my garage in Phoenix but I run a small evaporative cooler in the hottest months to keep the temperature bearable. I do not recirculate the water in the can but I use up to 5 gallons per day for evaporation so it gets turned over quickly.
For water changes I fill 5G drinking water jugs and move them into the house so the temperature is closer to the tank before mixing it up and adding to the tanks.

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had ours in our Garage for 2 years, I am in Orlando. When we do water changes or get auto top off water, we cool the water first before adding it to our system. We do not have a pump in the water, never have.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back