RODI Help

JMegerle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a tank back in January, it came with an RODI unit. In March I decided to replace all the filters and the membrane. If I recall correctly even after replacing the filters and membrane the TDS was like 2-3 which it shouldn't have been but a friend of mine bought a brand new unit and brought some of his water over and it tested the same so I just went about my way. Fast forward to today, I am having what I believe is either cyano or diatom issue. So I am going through to figure out what is causing it. I test my water and its coming out between 11-16 so I think everytime I top off or do water change, I am adding bad water into the tank. I can't figure out the issue with the rodi and why it wont go to zero tds. Incoming water is like 158 and coming out of the membrane at like 11. Then it goes into the di and comes out still 11. I just went and bought new DI repacked it as tight as I possibly could and it changed nothing. I also tested my tds meter at the lfs and it worked fine so I don't know what else to do. Any ideas? I'm ready to throw the whole thing out my window and buy a brand new one. Thank you!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's hooked up correctly. After DI it should be 0 if after the RO membrane it's only 11. Picture please of the unit.

OP
OP
JMegerle

JMegerle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic

20170628_191631.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know that unit.

Maybe the #reefsquad can help.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its an older aquatic life unit, just thought replacing all the filters it would be fine. Should have just bought a new unit to begin with.

Wish I could help. Call or contact aquaticlife for help.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for the most part, filter cartridges are filter cartridges. The unit itself has little to no effect on their efficiency, unless water is bypassing a cartridge somewhere (which is what it sounds like it's doing). How are your set up? I'm guessing the yellow line is the supply going to a pre filter, then carbon, then RO, then the red line coming from the RO is waste and blue is product water going to and from the DI. Where is the blue line going to the DI (the far right with the green sticker?) coming from?

OP
OP
JMegerle

JMegerle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for the most part, filter cartridges are filter cartridges. The unit itself has little to no effect on their efficiency, unless water is bypassing a cartridge somewhere (which is what it sounds like it's doing). How are your set up? I'm guessing the yellow line is the supply going to a pre filter, then carbon, then RO, then the red line coming from the RO is waste and blue is product water going to and from the DI. Where is the blue line going to the DI (the far right with the green sticker?) coming from?
Yeah exactly what you said and then the blue line runs the water from the membrane to the DI and the lower blue line runs the DI out of the unit. Supply line comes in, goes to micron filter to carbon to membrane from membrane to DI and then out the unit. Just seems like the DI isn't doing anything considering the tds is the exact same before and after.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... IME, 11 TDS is high out of the membrane as well. I'm a bit stumped. Maybe try getting an additional canister (BRS has an upgrade kit for like $30) with another carbon block. I guess that doesn't solve your DI not doing anything though.

This just be a case where the unit is bad. Did you check for any damage inside canisters that would possibly allow water around the media instead of through it?

OP
OP
JMegerle

JMegerle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think i'm just going to take the easy route and get a new unit. This has been one huge headache. I appreciate the help.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you'd like help troubleshooting your system, please give us a call when you're in front of it.

Russ
513-312-2343

Evee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the same thing and my tank got full of phosphate, so i purchased the filter first nothing happened, then i replace the membrane and the filters and the the di filter went brown on the first try ,replaced again and it took i little longer but it went brown after the 3rd replacement of the di filter it went back to normal ,but i'm still fighting algea in phosphate in my tank is geting better i' m around 80% there now i did around a 50% water change then after i treat it whit bacter clean m to bottles of 8oz and phoseguard for to weeks i did a 30% water change i'm doing another 30 on the weekend so don't get discouraged it thakes a long time for it to back to normal good luck

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back