RODI HELP

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this amount of water water look right?

image.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We wouldnt be able to even guess what your waste to product ratio is by these photos.

Get a measuring cup preferably ML and fill it up for one minute with your waste water. Jot that number down, empty and fill it up with product water for 1 minute. Jot that number down.

Now divide the amount of waste water by the product water and it should give you your ratio.

4 to 1 is the sweet spot for most systems.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We wouldnt be able to even guess what your waste to product ratio is by these photos.

Get a measuring cup preferably ML and fill it up for one minute with your waste water. Jot that number down, empty and fill it up with product water for 1 minute. Jot that number down.

Now divide the amount of waste water by the product water and it should give you your ratio.

Smart! After I’m done and use my flush valve, I don’t have water running do I? Or my automatic switch on/off on? Flush valve on and switch on/off valve off?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart! After I’m done and use my flush valve, I don’t have water running do I? Or my automatic switch on/off on? Flush valve on and switch on/off valve off?
Not sure what you mean but....

Id ditch the flush valve and install a DI bypass valve instead.
This actually removes tds creep where as a flush valve wont. In turn saving your resins from high tds getting by while the system is off.
And flush valves benefits are highly debatable.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s 4 to 1. Thanks!

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean but....

Id ditch the flush valve and install a DI bypass valve instead.
This actually removes tds creep where as a flush valve wont. In turn saving your resins from high tds getting by while the system is off.
And flush valves benefits are highly debatable.
Do I dump out the water from the cartridges after every use? Or just let it sit?

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to empty the residual water in the cartridges at all.
Ok but I’m setting up a 90 gal, and I’m worried the water fill up being super expensive. Is it expensive? The initial water set up?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure what you're asking... You haven't given any details of what rodi system you're working with, or what your water source is (city vs well water). Why would you be concerned with the expenses of filling your tank? If those are a concern, then how do you expect to afford ongoing costs of water changes? There's so many variables with incoming water quality, it is what it is. Some are dealing with high tds, other's chloramine, some high CO2 (like me) with well water. There is no universal solution or cost for everyone.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure what you're asking... You haven't given any details of what rodi system you're working with, or what your water source is (city vs well water). Why would you be concerned with the expenses of filling your tank? If those are a concern, then how do you expect to afford ongoing costs of water changes? There's so many variables with incoming water quality, it is what it is. Some are dealing with high tds, other's chloramine, some high CO2 (like me) with well water. There is no universal solution or cost for everyone.
It’s not that... it’s that I’m 16 and my mom doesn’t want me paying for it. It’s not that I cant. Nevermind

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that... it’s that I’m 16 and my mom doesn’t want me paying for it. It’s not that I cant. Nevermind
It does cost some money to be able to do it properly.
It can be done on a very tight budget though...

And to answer your question yes a 90 gallon will be more money for water changes than say a 20 gallon. If youre making your own water its mainly the salt that is going to cost you.
And coupled with burning through RODI inserts it can get pricey.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does cost some money to be able to do it properly.
It can be done on a very tight budget though...

And to answer your question yes a 90 gallon will be more money for water changes than say a 20 gallon. If youre making your own water its mainly the salt that is going to cost you.
And coupled with burning through RODI inserts it can get pricey.
Right. I bought Frits RPM 200 gallon 55 lb box mix, so I’m good on the salt. I can afford it if I need to, but my mom doesn’t want me to spend it, her to spend it, or to pay her back for the water I use through the rodi.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back