RODI Install Help - 1st Timer

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I just purchased a Bluevua 6 Stage RODI system from Amazon on Prime Day last week. It was such a good deal I could not pass it up. Only potential issue is it came with the small reserve drink water tank and countertop faucet. I live in an apartment, so I can’t use the countertop faucet piece and really don’t need the reserve drink water tank since all of my RODI is going into a 55 gallon Brute.

Being that this is an “under the sink” set up, is there an easier way to do this?! I planned to simply use the adapter to hook up to my sink. I did all of this set up, only to realize that because the adapter is for a water pipe, half of the water comes out from the sink and runs down the drain, which of course doesn’t give me enough pressure to actually use the RODI system the way I need to. (This one even comes with a booster pump on it) Any ideas or has anyone else been able to witchcraft their way through this? Instructions and video are of course not very helpful because I am not installing it under the sink!

Any help is appreciated, I know absolutely nothing about plumbing. I am a first timer here in the reef world and really trying to do everything properly before I set up my display tank! Thank you in advance for any help!!
AD34956F-CF3D-4986-BFFF-0A47B18B9AAF.jpeg
9DAAE3E2-E528-402D-9DF0-DD63C3A1B980.jpeg
4A95CEBD-9846-4AE3-85E3-EFBA46E2EAC6.jpeg

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the valve that attaches to the cold water output under your sink.

Attachments

• A2231B34-7F1C-4C77-B072-02F45B396A59.jpeg
    A2231B34-7F1C-4C77-B072-02F45B396A59.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the valve that attaches to the cold water output under your sink.
I can’t install under my sink, though, I have that valve hooked up to my sink itself, which is why there’s so much excess water going down the drain. Is there a different part I should get at my hardware store to hook up to my sink properly? It did not come with a sink adapter because it’s designed to be installed into a drilled hole in the water pipe. I can’t do this because I rent unfortunately.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have a lot of waste water with an ro di unit. However the one you have pictured is only an ro drinking water unit and does not have the di canisters. You only get about 1 gallon of ro per 5 gallons of tap water filtered. Otherwsie the way you have it hooked up is correct.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The valve they come with is for attaching to the cold water under the sink. It only shuts off the output to the ro system and does not shut off the cold water flowing out the other end. That’s why it is running all the time. You will need a faucet aerator adaptor if you want to connect to the faucet. They usually don’t have a valve and you install and remove it each time you want to use it. Personally, I would connect it to the valve under the sink.

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have a lot of waste water with an ro di unit. However the one you have pictured is only an ro drinking water unit and does not have the di canisters. You only get about 1 gallon of ro per 5 gallons of tap water filtered. Otherwsie the way you have it hooked up is correct.
I can’t see so I didn’t catch that this does not have di. This should be a deal breaker as far as aquarium use

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can buy di canisters to add to it

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t install under my sink, though, I have that valve hooked up to my sink itself, which is why there’s so much excess water going down the drain. Is there a different part I should get at my hardware store to hook up to my sink properly? It did not come with a sink adapter because it’s designed to be installed into a drilled hole in the water pipe. I can’t do this because I rent unfortunately.
You may be able to connect the supplied valve to the cold water pipe under the sink and just place the waste line in the sink drain when you make water. You only need to drill for the waste line, and if you don’t mind just rolling up the waste line under the sink and only taking it out when making water there you go

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also bulkreefsupply may have connectors to connect to your laundry water if that is an option for you.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing, you can just use the adapter to attach it to the faucet each time you need to make water and store it away when you don’t need it. That is how a friend of mine did it when he rented. Mine in hooked up in the laundry room like the one pictured above. However I mounted mine to a 2x4 and drilled it into the studs.

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well then! Now I’m very confused. What is the DI part I am missing with this? I guess I didn’t realize a 5 stage wouldn’t have it included. I’m thinking I should just return this and get a different set up, I went with 5 stage because Milwaukee uses Chloromines but I honestly didn’t know to look for a DI portion on the unit itself!

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing, you can just use the adapter to attach it to the faucet each time you need to make water and store it away when you don’t need it. That is how a friend of mine did it when he rented. Mine in hooked up in the laundry room like the one pictured above. However I mounted mine to a 2x4 and drilled it into the studs.
Yep that would be beautiful! The problem is I don’t have a faucet adapter in this kit (which is why I posted this, to see if anyone knew of one I could go buy at a hardware store) and laundry is not in my unit. I can’t even “ turn on” this system without the drinking spout being turned on. I guess that’s the trigger to start the water trickling in. Thinking this was a waste and I’ll return for an actual system with the DI portion that I can use with the sink faucet?!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then! Now I’m very confused. What is the DI part I am missing with this? I guess I didn’t realize a 5 stage wouldn’t have it included. I’m thinking I should just return this and get a different set up, I went with 5 stage because Milwaukee uses Chloromines but I honestly didn’t know to look for a DI portion on the unit itself!
Drinking water only systems do not come with deionization. Aquarium specific units do. Then there are the drinking water plus di units that do both. It’s simple to add the di stage but either way you need a different adapter to connect it to the faucet

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit itself will be called a RODI and not just RO filter.

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that would be beautiful! The problem is I don’t have a faucet adapter in this kit (which is why I posted this, to see if anyone knew of one I could go buy at a hardware store) and laundry is not in my unit. I can’t even “ turn on” this system without the drinking spout being turned on. I guess that’s the trigger to start the water trickling in. Thinking this was a waste and I’ll return for an actual system with the DI portion that I can use with the sink faucet?!
You should be able to find something. There are connectors that go directly to the faucet. The one for the drilled hole is for the waste water. You could just run the waste water down the drain until you have filled your canister and as Derrick stated just remove the adapter after each use.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That system is specifically for drinking water .
as di water is not suitable for consumption
And I also believe you need to research different cartridges or medias to remove Chloramines from the water .
Imo it’s possible to purchase and add di resin to that setup but it might be mote
Affordable to return it and purchase a different unit.
Keep us posted which you choose to do

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a adapter that has the same threads as a garden hose or laundry adapter , with a push in quick connect for rodi water lines
It’s what I have used for years .
I place my rodi unit in my kitchen sink and hook it to the faucet .

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That system is specifically for drinking water .
as di water is not suitable for consumption
And I also believe you need to research different cartridges or medias to remove Chloramines from the water .
Imo it’s possible to purchase and add di resin to that setup but it might be mote
Affordable to return it and purchase a different unit.
Keep us posted which you choose to do
Yep! That’s exactly what I found online, the DI canister would bring the total up to just about what it would cost to get a different RODI set up that works for sinks lol.

Thank you everyone so much, seriously, especially to Derrick for catching my “newbie” move ordering the wrong system! I’ve made it 2 months into the QT phase with no issues, so I shall take this “L” with grace and order a different system so I can get water in my first DT! :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back