RODI issue

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I replaced my sediment filter and both carbon blocks. I did not rinse the carbon blocks (not sure if you are supposed to). When I turned on the flow there was a small amount of black powder seen loose in both carbon blocks. I ran the system on bypass for 5 minutes. When I turned to normal flow, the pressure was low and TDS high even with the booster pump on. I took apart the 2 carbon blocks and rinsed them out. I also took apart both my membranes (water saver system with 2 membranes) and noticed the 1st membrane after the carbon blocks had black residue in it. I rinsed them out. When I restarted the system, my pressure was better but my TDS was still quite high. I normally have TDS 7-8. It was 18-20 even after 20 minutes.

Any thoughts?
Are you supposed to rinse the carbon blocks before installing them?
Did the black powder ruin my 1st membrane? Even if it did, the 2nd membrane should make up for it right?
Any other reason my TDS is now so high?

Thx.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are supposed to rinse the them before use, and you probably have ruined your membrane, if the carbon didn't do it, pulling them apart and rinsing them probably has.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinsed them in RO water. Would that ruin the membranes?
Not the rinsing, I could be wrong but I don't think they are designed to be pulled apart, the membrane works on pressure, pulling them apart would most likely ruin that...I could be wrong but don't think I am.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the rinsing, I could be wrong but I don't think they are designed to be pulled apart, the membrane works on pressure, pulling them apart would most likely ruin that...I could be wrong but don't think I am.
Thx for the input. We'll see if anyone else comments. I simply pulled it out of the housing and rinsed from the outside with RO and put it back in the housing. I did not take the actual membrane apart.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the input. We'll see if anyone else comments. I simply pulled it out of the housing and rinsed from the outside with RO and put it back in the housing. I did not take the actual membrane apart.

phew...just leaves the carbon then, might fix itself after a while, you could test it, remove both/one at a time and test the TDS.

Tip for the future, a new membrane normally needs an hour of rinsing, not 5 minutes.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phew...just leaves the carbon then, might fix itself after a while, you could test it, remove both/one at a time and test the TDS.

Tip for the future, a new membrane normally needs an hour of rinsing, not 5 minutes.
I didn't replace the membrane. Only the sediment filter and carbon blocks. How long should you rinse those?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have 0 after the first. Get a new one throw away the first one put the second one first and the new one last . I only have 1 on mine and it is only good for 100 gallons of good water.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have 0 after the first. Get a new one throw away the first one put the second one first and the new one last . I only have 1 on mine and it is only good for 100 gallons of good water.

I have 2 DI and I have 0 TDS after my 1st one as you do. I change the 1st one out when the TDS after the 1st hits 1. It doesn't matter since the 2nd one will catch any TDS after the 1st thus I don't have to monitor it very often. My issue is before the DI. It is my carbon blocks and membrane. Thanks though.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't replace the membrane. Only the sediment filter and carbon blocks. How long should you rinse those?

yeah it was a tip for the future i.e if it turn out to need replacing...the others are fine with a few minutes, the carbon until the water runs clear.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treated correctly a membrane will last a good few years, way more than 100g...are you getting mixed up with the resin?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ro buddy with di filter yes ro membrane should be good for two years but carbon and sediment are only good for 400 gallons my city water has a tds of 380 my di only lasts for 100 gallons of good water. I keep log of every drop i use for my tank . As long as my water is at 0 tds I will use it in my reef tank . That is what we strive for 0 tds does it matter how we get there. R. O. Membrane should give you 90% clean water not 100% DI does the rest .

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ro buddy with di filter yes ro membrane should be good for two years but carbon and sediment are only good for 400 gallons my city water has a tds of 380 my di only lasts for 100 gallons of good water. I keep log of every drop i use for my tank . As long as my water is at 0 tds I will use it in my reef tank . That is what we strive for 0 tds does it matter how we get there. R. O. Membrane should give you 90% clean water not 100% DI does the rest .

Right so your resin is good for 100g not your membrane, that is what I thought you meant.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future, when replacing prefilters, you want to rinse each filter and divert the rinse water away from the RO membrane and down into the drain.

Start by removing the old prefilters and disconnecting the tube that goes from the last carbon block canister to the RO membrane housing. That tube should be diverted into the sink.

Add the new sediment prefilter first and rInse it for 5 minutes. Then add the first carbon block and run the water to rinse for 5 minutes. Finally add the second carbon block run water for 5 minutes to rinse, then you’re done rinsing. Reconnect the tube to go back into the RO membrane housing.

By doing the above, you’re rinsing each prefilter in a downstream manner so that you won’t foul each individual prefilter as you add them to rinse in sequence, but more importantly, you will not foul your RO membrane.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future, when replacing prefilters, you want to rinse each filter and divert the rinse water away from the RO membrane and down into the drain.

Start by removing the old prefilters and disconnecting the tube that goes from the last carbon block canister to the RO membrane housing. That tube should be diverted into the sink.

Add the new sediment prefilter first and rInse it for 5 minutes. Then add the first carbon block and run the water to rinse for 5 minutes. Finally add the second carbon block run water for 5 minutes to rinse, then you’re done rinsing. Reconnect the tube to go back into the RO membrane housing.

By doing the above, you’re rinsing each prefilter in a downstream manner so that you won’t foul each individual prefilter as you add them to rinse in sequence, but more importantly, you will not foul your RO membrane.
Great. thx.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back