RODI Mistake

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So normally I have my rodi into 5 gallon buckets, approx an hour to fill, today I forgot it was on and went out for a few hours, I'd say 15-20 gallons on the floor..Luckily it's basement.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That has never happened to me. :rolleyes:

I am planning to build a water mixing station with auto water shut off, mixing pump, etc. and my wife is VERY supportive.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roto router does water removal I’m pretty sure if you are in over your head.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive left mine on overnight before.
Luckly its at the edge of my garage so it just runs down the drive :)
Now those DI canisters are a different story :(
$$

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it at least once a month...the longest I think was around 2 hours of di water flowing into the basement drain...I’ve also turned on the flush valve, got busy doing something and left it going for almost an hour.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it at least once a month...the longest I think was around 2 hours of di water flowing into the basement drain...I’ve also turned on the flush valve, got busy doing something and left it going for almost an hour.

Left mine running for 6 days like that, my membranes were EXTRA flushed. And the wife.... well let's just say it was a rough first week of our marriage :p

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left mine running for 6 days like that, my membranes were EXTRA flushed. And the wife.... well let's just say it was a rough first week of our marriage :p
Hah! First week of marriage huh...I don’t even tell the boyfriend when it happens. Luckily I have a drain that runs to a sump pump so most of it goes down there...but not all. I keep a squeegee and a fan by it now. The sump pump kicking on is what tips me off.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah! First week of marriage huh...I don’t even tell the boyfriend when it happens. Luckily I have a drain that runs to a sump pump so most of it goes down there...but not all. I keep a squeegee and a fan by it now

Well, she's the one that caught it so no chance of hiding that lol our wedding was out of town and I had just filled the ATO container up, left it open for a post production flush and walked away. Came back 4 days later and it took another 2 days for us to realize it was running (It's plumbed right into the Laundry sink drain so it's almost silent when it's flushing).

DaR333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened to me before and I got an Auto Shut Off Kit. If yo need info PM me and I can help you!

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has never happened to me. :rolleyes:

Nope never done this either:rolleyes:
auto shut off works great, now if they made a timer or something for the flush valve.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope never done this either:rolleyes:
auto shut off works great, now if they made a timer or something for the flush valve.
I’m sure there is something in with the fancy controllers that can do all that for us...I don’t have any of that stuff though.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'v been kinda brainstorming how to get the apex to fully automate an rodi system, the solenoids that open and close at certain times is easy. getting the programing right might be a (minor) challenge. sorry to hijack thread, anything else on this idea will be new post.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sure there is something in with the fancy controllers that can do all that for us...I don’t have any of that stuff though.

Yep, whether someone's idea of a water change involves just a 5 gallon bucket or full scale automation there is something available in this hobby to meet their needs. In addition to all of the technology that is currently on the market, the soon-to-be released #Hydros Controller system will have many accessories to automate a water mixing station.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So normally I have my rodi into 5 gallon buckets, approx an hour to fill, today I forgot it was on and went out for a few hours, I'd say 15-20 gallons on the floor..Luckily it's basement.
Been there done that

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a second floor apartment, above a restaurant in the historical part of town. While running my RODI, the waste line fell out of the sink I had it emptying into. I think it was only out for a couple minutes before water was leaking through the floor and into the kitchen.

My landlord called me first and asked if I the dishwasher running or something like that. I kind of lied and said I was taking a shower and I didn’t realize the shower curtain was outside of the tub - and he bought it!

I don’t think it’s a problem, but I didn’t bother to ask my landlord if I could put an aquarium in my apartment. The lease said no dogs and I’m a longtime family friend. I’m also never late with rent and I fix any issues myself.

I’m not really hiding it, but I’m certainly not flaunting it. The thing is, I have 250 gallons of saltwater between my display and sump - not to mention 20-30 gallons in the top-off reservoir and another 40-50 when I start breeding copepods, brine shrimp, amphipods, and rotifers in about a week or so.

Back