RODI system holding pressure when off.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the last time I ran some water up my system is still holding pressure. Help with the issue please. I am leaning towards membranes, is this the issue?
20191007_095502.jpg

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you using a float switch? If so, the back pressure from the float switch closing is what triggers the auto shut off valve and the system will continue to measure pressure. If you're not using a float switch and you turned off the water then I don't know.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Huff said, If you turn off the water at the output (manual valve, float valve or anything of the sort), the pressure on the input is what keeps the auto-shut off closed and stops water flowing. If you want the whole system to be cut off, you need a shut off on the input line or to close the valve on the tap your input line is connected to.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using float switches, and I also have a shutoff on the feed line to the unit. The float switches are both open, and the supply line is cut off as well. Been using this setup for 3 years, and the first time I have had this issue.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a stuck check valve or someting is clogged up like the flow restrictor.
Will it make water when you turn it on and does the pressure change at all when its running?
I would also try to disconnect all the tubes from the water feed, float switch, etc. and see if that relieves it.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hrmm, if the supply is cut off and the float (switch and solenoid or float valve?) leaves the output open it can't have pressure. If the membrane was holding back 30psi, I don't think it would pass any water at all.

Try manually cutting off the water input and remove the gauge and see if there is actually any pressure in that line and see if the gauge drops to 0.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a stuck check valve or someting is clogged up like the flow restrictor.
Will it make water when you turn it on and does the pressure change at all when its running?
I would also try to disconnect all the tubes from the water feed, float switch, etc. and see if that relieves it.
The unit goes up to 80PSI like usual when I turn it on, and makes water at the same rate or close anyway.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hrmm, if the supply is cut off and the float (switch and solenoid or float valve?) leaves the output open it can't have pressure. If the membrane was holding back 30psi, I don't think it would pass any water at all.

Try manually cutting off the water input and remove the gauge and see if there is actually any pressure in that line and see if the gauge drops to 0.
That or removing filters will be my next step. I was just hoping someone could pin point the issue. We will see what it is when I get time to check it out.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the shut off valve isn't shutting off water supply. Or you have a bad check valve somewhere. If the gauge doesn't zero out with the supply physically shut off, it could be the gauge.
The issue seems to be the shut off valve. When I unplugged the line going into the shutoff valve the pressure went to 0. I guess I will order a new one, and see if the issue goes away. I will also try and clean out the old one. The unit is working alright right now. I am running up some water because I am low. Thanks for the responses.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue seems to be the shut off valve. When I unplugged the line going into the shutoff valve the pressure went to 0. I guess I will order a new one, and see if the issue goes away. I will also try and clean out the old one. The unit is working alright right now. I am running up some water because I am low. Thanks for the responses.

I like keep a spare auto shut off valve on hand. Just in case something like this happens.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back