RODI & temp

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just run mine off of a cold water line. I think running a feed line that mixes hot and cold water to the proper temp would be too time consuming. Also, I'd be afraid of getting it wrong and the water getting too hot and damaging my membrane.

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine's lined in off the end of the washtub faucet in the fish room.
used an instatemp thermometer and then marked the faucet where the correct temp was. when running it I turn the water on to the cold side of the mark. have to say, the jugs are filling in a shorter amount of time since I did this, instead of just turning on full cold. DI is lasting longer also.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tapped into the cold side of the washing machine taps. I only make two or three gallons at a time and my daily top off is about 1.5 quarts. I keep the jugs at room temp so there isn’t much of a temp swing when I top off. Sea water comes from the LFS.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cold. My waste ratio goes up in the winter when the water temp drops. I have my ratio set to July source water temp. I do not think the added cost of providing otimal water tempature is worth it.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cold when im not in a hurry, when I am in a hurry I use 90F water, I can make about 450 gallon/day on a 200gpd system, but my TDS goes up from 2 to 8 after RO and so I use ***** resin, only when in a pinch.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just cold water here :)

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cold water for best tds. I'll plug in the inline water heater for turbo mode if needed. Water temperature is around 75 out of membranes, but tds doubles.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others, I just run the cold water line to mine.

My feed water is about 55 degrees all year. The gallons produced per day would increase if I :
1. heated the water
2. Pumped it through the membrane at a higher pressure

I don't think it's worth the trouble, but I could be wrong.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine off of the cold side cleanout of my tankless water heater and my system is run by a controller and solenoids. Most of the time when it is running to keep my ATO full I don't even know when it turns on or off. The only time I manually start it is when I am filling my mixing station.
If I had to manually attach it to a faucet on a sink everytime I made water I would probably try to make it closer to the temp for quicker production of water, but the way mine is plumbed it isn't worth the hassle.

I'll plug in the inline water heater for turbo mode if needed.
Is there some kind of purpose made heater for this application that you use or is it a heater for something else that you just got to work?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just use the cold side of the washer, its easier than hooking up to the laundry faucet everytime. That being said i do notice its slower in the winter when the water is ice cold.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hooked into the faucet outside-runs through the screen in my kitchen window. I have a heater for the winter in my ato container

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine off my NEIGHBORS cold water line
Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine off of the cold side cleanout of my tankless water heater and my system is run by a controller and solenoids. Most of the time when it is running to keep my ATO full I don't even know when it turns on or off. The only time I manually start it is when I am filling my mixing station.
If I had to manually attach it to a faucet on a sink everytime I made water I would probably try to make it closer to the temp for quicker production of water, but the way mine is plumbed it isn't worth the hassle.

Is there some kind of purpose made heater for this application that you use or is it a heater for something else that you just got to work?
I'm using a 1400 watt Bosch inline water heater. 4 gallon tank I believe. $150 on Amazon. If you do go that route be careful not to cook your membrane. Too hot will ruin them.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a 1400 watt Bosch inline water heater. 4 gallon tank I believe. $150 on Amazon. If you do go that route be careful not to cook your membrane. Too hot will ruin them.
Ok thanks. I was more curious than anything else if there was a heater made specifically for rodi filters. I have no real interest in using warmer water to feed my filter.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this....the temperature rating you see associated with a membrane is the temperature at which that membrane gets it's rating....i.e. 75gpd. It does not mean you need to run your RO at that temperature. Actually you don't want to introduce any hot/warm water....cold only. To quote @AZDesertRat, a past RO/DI expert:

Use only cold water, never try to temper or blend hot and cold.
Cold water actually treats better and will give you lower TDS. It is more viscous, more dense, so the contaminants do not flow through the RO membrane as easily giving you a better rejection rate.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back