Rodi unit

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tired of using distilled water. I buy the stuff from Walmart and I test it. It show zero tds and the water report online shows zero copper and other bad stuff. The water is actually pretty decent. However, I am tired of buying the water all the time and and filling the recycle bin with countless bottles. I decided it is time to buy a RO/DI unit. I do not have a permanent spot to place it unless it loop it into my washing machine in my basement, which is not gonna happen. So what are my options? Is there a unit they I can hook up to my faucet in my bathroom by removing the threaded cover? Then when I am done just put it in the closet or something like that. My faucet water is pretty bad. Measures at about 400 tds.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed mine under the ensuite bathroom sink using some plywood and richelieu drawer slides.
I used a saddle attachment to run the drain into the sink drain, and a john guest valve connected to the supply. Both are visible in the first pic
RO-DI 3.JPG
RO-DI 4.JPG

S.K.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed under my basement sink and get whatever amount of water i need. I am not big fan of having big batch of rodi water sitting in a bucket since water still rot if you keep them settled. Always fresh rodi for fresh salt water mix to do my water change

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make any unit portable, just depends on how much effort you want to put into it. Truth is, you can mount these as separate items into tight spaces. Just make it so you can change filters.

I used to have my unit under my kitchen sink similar to above. But I recently moved it to my laundry area. I mounted it all in a cabinet above my washing machine. I have 6 canisters consisting of carbon, pleated and DI resins and 2 RO all in the space of a 30" tall cabinet. Plus there is room for detergents and other laundry room things to get stored. You say you have a basement.. I would be using that space big time.

Keep in mind your High TDS water of 400 will drop significantly at each level of filtration. So don't worry about that to much.

If you mount it some place you need three major considerations.
1. Where will it drain? the drain line is waste water that comes from the RO side. The average RO unit will create 50% waste water.
2. Where will you get water from? You can hook it up to an outside spigot, laundry spigot, faucet line under a cabinet or direct to your faucet if you can get an adapter to fit it.
3. Where will you collect Output water (processed clean water)? the output on some units can be as low as 50 gallons per day(24 hrs). You can improve output in many ways, but that adds to costs.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for 29 gallon tank. Tap water out of sink is measured at 410 tds. I want to make sure I can get it down to zero.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My source water runs between 350 to 400 TDS. I run a BRS 4 stage 75 GPD unit. Works pretty well for me. I also keep it in a Rubbermaid tote, and just hook it up when I need to make water. Literally takes about 2 minutes. Just make sure you either get the one with the TDS meter installed, or buy a TDS meter to install yourself. Again, installation takes no time.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed mine under the ensuite bathroom sink using some plywood and richelieu drawer slides.
I used a saddle attachment to run the drain into the sink drain, and a john guest valve connected to the supply. Both are visible in the first pic
RO-DI 3.JPG
RO-DI 4.JPG
That’s impressive!

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My source water runs between 350 to 400 TDS. I run a BRS 4 stage 75 GPD unit. Works pretty well for me. I also keep it in a Rubbermaid tote, and just hook it up when I need to make water. Literally takes about 2 minutes. Just make sure you either get the one with the TDS meter installed, or buy a TDS meter to install yourself. Again, installation takes no time.

how do you hook it up? do you remove your aerator and just screw on.

do you need to do anything after using it to flush water from the system? Does it get stagnant and bad if water is sitting in the system after use?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you hook it up? do you remove your aerator and just screw on.

do you need to do anything after using it to flush water from the system? Does it get stagnant and bad if water is sitting in the system after use?
I personall just leave the aerator off of the faucet in the laundry room. The BRS unit comes with hardware to either permanently hard plumb, or screw to a faucet.
I have never drained the unit after using it. I just open the flush valve and run water through it for a couple of minutes before using. Never had a problem.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got my a hold of the public works department and asked if they know how the water is cleaned, with chlorine or chloramine. He told me it was gas chlorine. Would a four stage rodi unit from brs be good to go then?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back