RODI Upgrades Needed

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my last ICP I had Silicon, Copper and Zinc at high levels for my RODI water and in turn my tank. I know there is no metal corroding, it’s just a brute with one pump (inspected the heck out of it).

I assume my RODI isn’t removing it all. Would a second membrane or second DI chamber assist the most with Silicon,Cu,Zn?

I know silicon is next to near impossible to remove fully with RODI and it really doesn’t have adverse affects. I am having to clean my glass almost daily now though. It was about 1/week months ago.

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper and Zinc is a removed via carbon. You can add another inline. Silica is a DI thing. We have high silica here. So running a Anton, canton then a mixed bed. I run a eight stage, sometimes a 4 stage just doesn’t cut it.

OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper and Zinc is a removed via carbon. You can add another inline. Silica is a DI thing. We have high silica here. So running a Anton, canton then a mixed bed. I run a eight stage, sometimes a 4 stage just doesn’t cut it.
I run dual carbons now. Was thinking of getting the dual DI add-on from BRS. Then I can do anion, cation, mixed.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your rejection rate on your membrane? It should be removing around 95% of the zinc and copper then the DI the remaining?

I run 4 stage DI it was the easy way to upgrade when I needed for high CO2. Cation-Anion-Mega Max Cap- Endro

OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have should take care of the copper zinc unless it is exhausted. Is the feed to the filter coming from the hot or cold?

My Rodi in my garage is coming from my cold supply to my hot water heater. This is all brass connections and could explain it.

I don’t really have a better way of connecting.

I just tested. My tap TDS is 230-260. TDS after membrane is 3. So I have a really good rejection rate. Resin is only 1/3 depleted right now based on color.

Side question without posting another thread. Does anyone have a better connection method than shown here? I have a fear that tubing is going to bust and flood a closet I never go into. Note: I am switching that to BRS tubing soon for more longevity as that cheap stuff I used is brittle.

CCDD354A-B3A6-471F-9C80-2F6A5BC92B24.jpeg

Last edited:

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rodi in my garage is coming from my cold supply to my hot water heater. This is all brass connections and could explain it.

Nothing wrong with that. You might want to put a quarter throw shut off valve there that terminates in a 1/4" compression or 1/4" quick connect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with that. You might want to put a quarter through shut off valve there that terminates in a 1/4" compression or 1/4" quick connect.

I will be installing an in line murlok disconnect once I swap the tubing to the better BRS stuff. Does that fit what you are stating?

OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, so what I have before the T, just another for only the Rodi line. I do have that tubing from BRS ready to install.

So I just need a male male coupler to go off the T to the shut off then add my existing compression on the other end.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just tested. My tap TDS is 230-260. TDS after membrane is 3. So I have a really good rejection rate. Resin is only 1/3 depleted right now based on color.

Side question without posting another thread. Does anyone have a better connection method than shown here? I have a fear that tubing is going to bust and flood a closet I never go into. Note: I am switching that to BRS tubing soon for more longevity as that cheap stuff I used is brittle.

CCDD354A-B3A6-471F-9C80-2F6A5BC92B24.jpeg
That connection should be fine. It is with hot water you can have heavy metal leaching.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, so what I have before the T, just another for only the Rodi line. I do have that tubing from BRS ready to install.

So I just need a male male coupler to go off the T to the shut off then add my existing compression on the other end.
You can get the shut off valves in all sorts of configurations - there's a whole section in the plumbing isle at HD full of them.
Those male x male connectors are called "nipples": https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbin...d-Free/Nipple/N-5yc1vZ1z18i42Z1z114xcZ1z1b2nh

If you need a male adapter with 1/2" threads x 1/4" quick connect rather than a compression fitting: https://www.buckeyehydro.com/male-adapter/

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... I was talking about a valve like this:
shut off valve.jpg

Here's the tubing you're looking for: https://www.buckeyehydro.com/pe-tubing/

Dumb questions, but do you know of a link for a 1/2 to 1/4 tubing compression made for plastic, preferably an elbow.

I have the 3/4 reduced to 1/2 brass and need to connect the tubing. What I had previously was a 1/4 compression adapter but it is using brass ferrules and I have read you never want to use that with plastic tubing as it cuts into it.

I have this right now:

Can I use this with the link above?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a poly fitting with 1/2" male threads and a 1/4" quick connect?

OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a poly fitting with 1/2" male threads and a 1/4" quick connect?
I thought of that for simplicity, but have concerns over push connect vs compression which theoretically should be a better connection. Since this will be in a water heater closet it wont be monitored like my Rodi out on the wall on the other side of the garage. If it’s leaking I may never know.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back