OP
M

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The waste line goes to drain and will have a slightly increase TDS from you supply water (try measuring both). You should have a “T” valve which you open each time you run the unit until the TDS creep is discarded. This T valve is situated between the RO membrane and your DI resin. You then close this valve to send the water from the RO membrane through the DI resin, producing the cleanest water, usually a TDS of 1 or 2 maximum.
My tap water is at 54 TDS. My RODI system from BRS also has a TDS meter built in and at the beginning of the process when I start up my RODI system and have the water "back flushing" (or whatever the correct term is) the TDS usually reads around 20ish depending on how long the filters have been used. After a few minutes of flow both in and out read zero TDS, not only my meter but also on the BRS built in TDS meter.

roman94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might by silly question...

I know that RO/RODI water is “too clean” to be used as drinking water for human. But I have seen mineralising filter cartridges that can be attached to the RO systems and it makes the water reach in Mg, Ca and other elements again.

can the mineralising filter cartridge make the “waste water” good enough for drinking ??

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might by silly question...

I know that RO/RODI water is “too clean” to be used as drinking water for human. But I have seen mineralising filter cartridges that can be attached to the RO systems and it makes the water reach in Mg, Ca and other elements again.

can the mineralising filter cartridge make the “waste water” good enough for drinking ??

Many people use pure rodi water for drinking(in ky opinion the taste is bad otherwise i would).

Everything i have read is that the risk is purely theoretical in humans with otherwise reasonable diets(ie not starving). The starving people probably dont have access to rodi water though so i think we are all safe

I would question why you would want to spent money removing the minerals and then spend money to add them back?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and i missed the part where you said to remineralize the wastewater. I certainly wouldnt, but that is because you are drinking the waste...basically water with concentrated "waste" from the system. If something in your water is diluted enough to be safe you could be essentially concentrating it in the wastewater to a level no longer considered safe.

roman94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people use pure rodi water for drinking(in ky opinion the taste is bad otherwise i would).

Everything i have read is that the risk is purely theoretical in humans with otherwise reasonable diets(ie not starving). The starving people probably dont have access to rodi water though so i think we are all safe

I would question why you would want to spent money removing the minerals and then spend money to add them back?
I’ve read that even if you drink 10L of that water per day you will be still dehydrated because the water has no minerals and salts your body need. I’m thinking to add that cartridge on the waste water pipe. Inlet water pressure is sooooo low and I can make 1 gallon of clean water while 8-10 gallons of “bad” water goes to sludge :/

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that even if you drink 10L of that water per day you will be still dehydrated because the water has no minerals and salts your body need. I’m thinking to add that cartridge on the waste water pipe. Inlet water pressure is sooooo low and I can make 1 gallon of clean water while 8-10 gallons of “bad” water goes to sludge :/

Yes i understand the old theory of what could happen without minerals. Also understand i cannot find a single example of it occuring and lots of people a lot smarter than me saying it is silly to think that. Modern human diets are full of minerals and salts. Plenty of cases where people drink rodi water exclusively and do fine. Never seen a single case where it caused issues.

roman94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i understand the old theory of what could happen without minerals. Also understand i cannot find a single example of it occuring and lots of people a lot smarter than me saying it is silly to think that. Modern human diets are full of minerals and salts. Plenty of cases where people drink rodi water exclusively and do fine. Never seen a single case where it caused issues.

I’m just trying to find out if there is any point to add that cartridge and use the waste water for anything else than watering plants :D thanks

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just trying to find out if there is any point to add that cartridge and use the waste water for anything else than watering plants :D thanks

It can be hooked up to drain into hot water lines. Their are some limitations with that and unless you buy one of the systems designed to do that(they are available) you will need to know what you are doing.

Can fill washing machines with it.

As for me though ya i just fill a large water storage container outside and use on gardens, plants, trees outside.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read most of the comments not all but the only thing that I can think of is that maybe you have really clean tap water? I personally have high tds waste water. But then again I have polluted well water cant even drink the stuff.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the skinny as I understand it... I may be wrong so please don't bash me.

The initial startup (or restart, if like me, you do not make RO water 24/7), where you divert water into the wasteline, is to purge any impurities and "clean" the RO membrane so the it performs at peak efficiency.

My system says to do this purge for 3 minutes. Your system may recommend different. In any event. the "waste" water does not necessarily have to go down the drain (or driveway in your case) Collect it into a container, if you can, and repurpose it to your garden, washing your car, ect ect... Waste water from the RO system is safe, non-toxic and can be used for countless other water use needs.. Heck, fill a bucket with it and mop the floor!! Don't just throw it down the drain!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back