RODI waste water

Meeggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a thought I had about trying to cut down on the amount of waste water that an RODI unit produces. Right now I have a RODI filter that produces 75g/day and I want to get the upgrade to double the amount produced per hour and cut the waste water amount by half. But what if we collected the waste water in a brute trash can and then used a return pump to recycle that waste water to RODI water? That would work wouldn’t it?

mrk1720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue will be creating the correct pressure to send that waste water back through your filtration system. Even then, you'll create waste water from that process as well. You'd be much better off by just getting the additional add on filter and keep the process simple.

I mean, unless you're into that kind of thing.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you can do that. Life expectancy of the membrains affected in part by the amount of TDS in the source water. You probably should expect a shorter RO membrain life expectancy recycling the wast water as the TDS increases with each pass. A easier and maybe better use might be running the waste line out to a garden or flower bed. After all, once run through a sediment and carbon filter it's arguably cleaner than your tapwater.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur with the last post. The best way to reuse the waste water, instead of flushing it down a drain, would be to use it for watering plants. I’ve also heard of people using it to brew coffee, but I haven’t had the nerve to try it. I do sometimes use some of the RO/DI to dilute harder, filtered water in my machine. The coffee tastes much better!

puckett26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A person smart that me could do that. I added an additional DI resin. Next I’m going to collect the water and start a FW shrimp tank

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you can do that. Life expectancy of the membrains affected in part by the amount of TDS in the source water. You probably should expect a shorter RO membrain life expectancy recycling the wast water as the TDS increases with each pass. A easier and maybe better use might be running the waste line out to a garden or flower bed. After all, once run through a sediment and carbon filter it's arguably cleaner than your tapwater.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 32

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added a second stage RO? You plumb the reject of your membrane right to another RO element. This cuts your waste by 25% and only increases the tds to the DI by like 1-2 ppm.

another way to reduce the waste is to increase the inlet pressure. Higher pressure has a higher the ability to overcome higher osmotic pressure and you can reduce the amount of waste you create overall.

OP
OP
Meeggles

Meeggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added a second stage RO? You plumb the reject of your membrane right to another RO element. This cuts your waste by 25% and only increases the tds to the DI by like 1-2 ppm.

another way to reduce the waste is to increase the inlet pressure. Higher pressure has a higher the ability to overcome higher osmotic pressure and you can reduce the amount of waste you create overall.
I ordered it just have to wait for it to come in the mail and then I also have to save up for the booster pump kit to bring the water pressure up

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back