RODI

  • Thread starter Thread starter christyj3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

christyj3

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2022
Messages
100
Reaction score
186
Location
Asheville
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this. Looking for recommendations for RODI filtration for my 55g. I’ve been looking on Bulk Reef Supply, but I need some advice on which one I need to purchase.
 
It would initially depend on the water source but being a 55 gal look into spectipure .
it’s the one I have and used for years. .
Replace the sediment , carbon and di resin when needed .
 
It would initially depend on the water source but being a 55 gal look into spectipure .
it’s the one I have and used for years. .
Replace the sediment , carbon and di resin when needed .
I have city water. :loudly-crying-face: I'll definitely look into spectipure.Thanks!
 
I just use a 4 stage BRS model for my 80g system. Just hook it to a garden hose as needed to produce my RODI.
 
I have city water. :loudly-crying-face: I'll definitely look into spectipure.Thanks!
Not sure how municipal water works where you are .
here ….. I’m sure it reuses all water that goes down the drain , filters , cleans and sent back to houses ( including toilet water )

If they use chloramines a different filter or possibly media is needed ( I’m not 100% sure )
 
I just use a Geek Pure 3 stage Amazon $90 bucks and a DI canister $45 bucks, to service my 250G system with a weekly 10% change.

It makes 25g in about 4 hours of zero TDS.
 
As previously stated, what's in your source water should ideally dictate how many stages you go for,,, but you can always add more later, if needed.
Brand is a matter of opinion, SpectraPure and BRS are two common examples.

*I'd suggest to at least aim for one that uses standard 10" chambers

FWIW, I'm happy with my BRS 6 stage, 75 GPD unit and I'm on municipal water with pretty high incoming TDS (440-475 TDS) but no chloramines (trusting the public water quality report for my area).
 
Not sure how municipal water works where you are .
here ….. I’m sure it reuses all water that goes down the drain , filters , cleans and sent back to houses ( including toilet water )

If they use chloramines a different filter or possibly media is needed ( I’m not 100% sure )
Someone privately reached out to me from Buckeye Hydro Pure Water Technologies and he sent me the last annual water quality report for my area. I read the complete article and luckily our water is not treated with chloramines, just chlorine.
 
Someone privately reached out to me from Buckeye Hydro Pure Water Technologies and he sent me the last annual water quality report for my area. I read the complete article and luckily our water is not treated with chloramines, just chlorine.
I might add a “chlorine block” to the chain in that case.
 
A general comment: pay less attention to the number of stages. Vendors know that less informed buyers assume that "more stages = better filtration." So you can go out there in the marketplace, and if you understand what you are looking at, you can find all sorts of oddly configured systems highlighting their umpteen stages. Ugh. Consider these "vendor subsidy systems."

Consider a system with a sediment filter, carbon block, RO membrane, DI cartridge (aka a 4-stage system) with a pressure gauge and a TDS meter as the default configuration. This setup will work just fine in most instances for most people.

Why not add more stages? Well, there are some downsides.
1. Cost. You have to buy and replace that extra filter for the life of your system.
2. Performance sacrifice. You pay a price in terms of pressure loss for each prefilter you add. Needlessly adding extra sediment filters and or carbon filters does little if anything (in most situations) to improve your water.
3. Needless system complications invite the opportunity for problems (e.g., leaks).
4. Maintenance - few people actually enjoy system maintenance once they work through the process a few times. You'll like it less if it is more expensive and takes more time.

So if you think of the 4 stage as a default, why might you add addition filtration to it? For example:
- If you are on a residential well system and your water has heavy sediment loads, you may want to add a second higher-micron (larger pore size) sediment filter ahead of your system. You'd do this to spread the sediment loading over two, rather than one, filter so you don't have to replace them so often.
- If you have chloramine in your tap water you will likely want to add a second carbon stage, especially one made specifically for chloramine treatment. For example https://www.buckeyehydro.com/chloraguard-chloramine-carbon-block/.

Russ
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new