Rolled the dice on a 6-pack, got some stinkers. Advice?

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So yeah, I'm new...bought a 6 pack of soft corals from LiveAquaria to get a good assortment of basic stuff to have, and I knew there was a chance I'd get a pulsing xenia or gsp, figured I'd roll the dice anyways...oops! lesson learned!

Looks like I got a green star polyp, a green clove polyp, two kinds of pulsing xenia, a cespitularia, and xoanthid. Can someone help confirm these IDs?

I want to avoid putting something "invasive" in my tank like GSP and Xenia. Is the Clove Polyp(?) and Cespitularia(?) okay?

What do I do with the GSP and two Pulsing Xenia frags? :(

Xenia2.jpg GSP.jpg Xenia1.jpg ClovePolyp.jpg Cespitularia.jpg

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd say nice pack.
I keep hearing horror stories of people trying to fight back xenia or gsp as it takes over their tank, and my rock work is epoxied in place...the idea of having to remove rock to clean invasives away is terrifying! I eventually would like an sps-heavy mixed reef...you would add all of these to the display?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#5, is that an organpipe coral? It will have reddish tubes at the base is it is?
I'd call that one a win if it is!
The rest are soft disasters, imo. Overall, not bad for a dice throw.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia is the worse. Stay away...far far away. Never had gsp or clove polyps but seems like they spread just as bad. Fun for the short term, terrible long term imo! Toss them or give them away....or maybe setup a tank you don't care too much about and let them takeover.

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would eventually like to have an SPS/LPS mixed reef - so you're saying I shouldn't add any of these softies?

I'm not confident on my IDs, it could be a organpipe? There is some reddish at the base.
Not confident about the GSP id either...

From the LiveAquaria sale page
This Soft Coral Pack may include any of the following softies: Green Star Polyps, Xenia, Glove Polyps or Assorted Zoanthid Colony Polyps.

More shots of the two colonies...GSP? Clove? Glove? Starburst? Organpipe? guh...

IMG_20200502_112407_MP.jpg IMG_20200502_112400_MP.jpg IMG_20200502_112245_MP.jpg IMG_20200502_112238_MP.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, with my softie tank, I like the whole pack. But yes, the gsp and xenia are the more likely to go crazy. All will given the right circumstances though. If you are thinking sps, the water clarity and minimal nutrients will keep these guys from growing too much. They do like a bit more dirty. Keep in sump area if you would like too. Then sell as they grow. Just a thought.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I’d throw em I the trash, just like I did with wwc’s live sale garbage pack.

I learned my lesson in buying mystery frag packs, they are cheap for a reason....

Now if you could add your own choices that is different.

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah...I'm pretty bummed that some of the most interesting and mesmerising corals are so invasive!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to not put anything invasive in your tank, then congrats, you just bought a single zoa frag. I think on the scale of invasiveness, cespitularia might be considered less so though if that's what you are asking.

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Put them in your sump. Xenia is great for nutrient export
I thought about this, but I'm already running a chaeto fuge on a reverse photoperiod...xenia probably wouldn't like that, and wouldn't I risk it spreading to the display through the return?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back