roller mat..how long dose the fleece last?

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh mine stunk, funny smell too. Didnt bother me till it was time to handle it and switch rolls.
Yea, once you squeeze them during the switch they might let a little off but certainly not during regular operation. Agreed on that!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a link to coolant paper I could use on the large?

Shoot them a email, Steve the owner is beyond helpful with questions.

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 KLIR DI4 in my sump standard waterbox 130.4 sump in the filters sock holders and I would say I change out the rolls about once a month give or take a few days for me it was about the water hight in my sump lowered it a little bit and now I'm getting prime performance love them and wouldn't change

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the Maths to compare the ReefMat 500 to the 1200. If you accept that the roll rate is matched to the usage, then the 1200 is a better deal because at current prices it works out at about 20% more area for an equivalent cost. 1200 costs more but also has a bigger surface area. However the ReefMat also has a border so that the usable area is less. So the cost advantage of a 1200 is even greater. Practical usage may differ.

That said, I have a 625 G2 Tank and I bought the ReefMat 500. The increased flow rate of the 1200 wasn't a concern for me because the quoted flow rate for the 625 Tank is a Maximum and not a Target. In practice, the flow rate will be lower and either ReefMat would be OK. Both ReefMats are quite big units. The bigger ReefMat is the same dimension on the width as the length of the smaller ReefMat. Since space is always at a premium in any Sump, I went for the smaller unit.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to burn through it quick imho. 50 micron seems to be the sweet spot with water clarity combined with how long it last. I've tried it all, lol.
So you had to buy a roll and cut it to fit right? If so, how did you cut it? I used a hand saw lol but i want something a little easier.
I might switch to 50 micron but the clarisea is 20 micron and i have so much now i dont mind if i go through it fast.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky, i can get my roller media premade in 4" and 6" width to cover the small and medium filter roller. I re roll them onto a smaller core as the 2" that's supplied is a little big, imho.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I know this is a very subjective question and many many factors are involved.

BUT...
I would like to know how long your filter roll lasted on your tank.

I am planning to ad one to what would be considered heavy bio load as the fish are messy eaters
the roller I am looking at is the red sea reef mat 500 I know there new so no long term reviews.

just wonderig what as been the average time for replacing the fleece so I can prepare.
Well, my X-Filter 34 micron roll lasts about 6 months.
The 17 Micron I'm using right now is about a quarter through after 6 weeks.

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I know this is a very subjective question and many many factors are involved.

BUT...
I would like to know how long your filter roll lasted on your tank.

I am planning to ad one to what would be considered heavy bio load as the fish are messy eaters
the roller I am looking at is the red sea reef mat 500 I know there new so no long term reviews.

just wonderig what as been the average time for replacing the fleece so I can prepare.
I'm using a 4" KLIR on my 215 gallon. It's lasting about 3 months.

Daboys2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a Clarisea Sk-3000 in April and the 1st roll lasted 6 weeks at full throttle (no bypass). So glad not having to deal with filter socks anymore and surprisingly the exposed dirty roll doesn’t smell either.

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised no Trigger roller mats brought up yet. I have the 10” 150ft roll. I think it’s 50micron but not sure. I used to do one roll ever 3 months. Had some issues with the gear getting worn down from too much tension. But they sent me like 4 new gears. Almost sacrificial. I recently set up my filter roller after an external recirculating skimmer and now my roll lasts 4 months maybe. I don’t even think about it. Amazing improvement over filter socks but it’s hard to have any nitrates. I can barely get over 5ppm and I’m dosing nitrates now. I have a platinum 39 on my 240g.

Attachments

• 8A4C8133-2605-430D-83F4-9D710D7CCD2E.jpeg
    8A4C8133-2605-430D-83F4-9D710D7CCD2E.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 50

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how relevant it is but I'll share my experience. I'm 10 months in on my latest tank and have had 2 sk5000 rollers for most of that time. Started with 1 and added the 2nd about a month in. So Rolls are out of sync with each other but I've only changed each of them twice I think. So I'm at roughly 3-4 months per roll. 180 gallon tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back