roller mat..how long dose the fleece last?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was burning through pellon-910 sew-in fabric interfacing in my DIY filter floss roller till I raised the water level in the unit. Now I estimate 1 20 yard roll (of which I get 4 from a $20 bolt) will last me just over a month. I got a 100 yd roll @ 100 micron @ 5" wide from Steve @PrecisionConverting for $16 and it looks like it will work great but with my tweeks, the Pellon is working great. I don't know the micron rating of it but it is very similar to fleece filter socks.

He did mention that his fabric is not exactly the same as the production media available but people have gotten it to work. Just don't expect it to be a drop-in for some of the production rollers.

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The used rolls don't really smell like anything weirdly.
Does your Tank smell? It shouldn't. An exception is if you remove some Sand and let it stand in a Bucket - you will then get an awful smell - like being at the Seaside! The way the Rolls wind on my ReefMat 500 explains why it shouldn't smell. I have no complaints.

The Input Roll at the front feeds down and towards the front. The Output Roll at the back feeds up and towards the back. This means that the inside dirtier side of the fleece winds onto the roller facing in towards the centre. The outer cleaner side of the fleece winds onto the roller facing out away from the centre - it covers over the roll and the cleaner side is on the outside of the Output Roller covering the dirtier side on the inside.

Simon

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my bubble magus wraps the roll the same way, no smells and lasts in the region of 2 months, from what I have seen here in the UK its the cheapest roll to replace by far but I have no idea on any micron rating as it doesn't give that information on the website where I buy it from. I have searched around for the rating but have not seen any of the other sites say what the micron rating is. I have 10 fish and I broadcast feed daily and attach a nori sheet every other day for the tangs.

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea use a Fleece Roll that is 200 micron and not the 50 micron that other Systems use. Whilst it might not polish the water as well, it also won't clog so easily. So probably a good choice.

I have a ReefMat 500 and the initial rate has continued to drop, so it uses only what is needed. Whilst others may say that the Red Sea App is a gimmick for the ReefMat, I find it interesting to see when and how much is being used.

Grampy’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how relevant it is but I'll share my experience. I'm 10 months in on my latest tank and have had 2 sk5000 rollers for most of that time. Started with 1 and added the 2nd about a month in. So Rolls are out of sync with each other but I've only changed each of them twice I think. So I'm at roughly 3-4 months per roll. 180 gallon tank

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a bubble magus fleece roller and the rolls last about 2 months or so,
I have kept reasonably good records but think I'm missing a change on here but it's a guide not a rule

Each roller unit becomes an individual when put into a tank unless you want to get it out every week and clean it the eventual build up of the usual crud in any filter will make the float switch less sensitive or more, also the amount you feed will be taken into account and the flow rate will make a difference too because the water sitting 1cm below the float switch will move the winder on faster than it sitting at 2cm away from the float switch is a bit of a open ended question am afraid.
Screenshot_20220729_094443_com.dyhwang.aquariumnote.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back