roller mat..how long dose the fleece last?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I know this is a very subjective question and many many factors are involved.

BUT...
I would like to know how long your filter roll lasted on your tank.

I am planning to ad one to what would be considered heavy bio load as the fish are messy eaters
the roller I am looking at is the red sea reef mat 500 I know there new so no long term reviews.

just wonderig what as been the average time for replacing the fleece so I can prepare.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the trigger sumps with built-in rollers. It took several months to get the tank, sump, and rollers synced up. I was going through mats very quickly and was not very impressed. But once I got everything tuned, it works great, and I would say I am now changing them every three months. I feed 3-4 times a day and have 20ish fish.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first roll went fast (assuming because it got so much out originally). They lasted longer and longer after that. I would say my current one is about two months?

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as @New&no clue have trigger systems sump with built in and first few took a while to get it right from there on now lasts me 3months, I feed with avast plank every 1hr30min so plenty of food in there.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following! I want one of those Red Sea roller mats on my next tank. They look really nice!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the trigger sumps with built-in rollers. It took several months to get the tank, sump, and rollers synced up. I was going through mats very quickly and was not very impressed. But once I got everything tuned, it works great, and I would say I am now changing them every three months. I feed 3-4 times a day and have 20ish fish.

My first roll went fast (assuming because it got so much out originally). They lasted longer and longer after that. I would say my current one is about two months?
I can live with every 3 months.
Same as @New&no clue have trigger systems sump with built in and first few took a while to get it right from there on now lasts me 3months, I feed with avast plank every 1hr30min so plenty of food in there.
nice! I have always wondered about the avast plank I have there ATO
I can life with 3 months
Following! I want one of those Red Sea roller mats on my next tank. They look really nice!
right! I want to add one to my seahorse build but dont want to go broke with roller fleece.

My Af-1 rolls wouldn’t last two weeks! I do have a high turnover in my 120 so maybe that’s to blame
WOW that sucks that's kinda what I am afraid of...

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking once tank is cycled start the roller mat a month after. hoping it will be not to bad on the fleece. but this will be a messy tank so who knows?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can live with every 3 months.

nice! I have always wondered about the avast plank I have there ATO
I can life with 3 months

right! I want to add one to my seahorse build but dont want to go broke with roller fleece.

WOW that sucks that's kinda what I am afraid of...
If you know your flow rate then you can decide from there, how many you’ll need for your set up. I think the fleece has a lot do with it too tho. I don’t know about other companies, but aquamaxx was always low on replacements and one time they sent me the wrong ones. Not a good experience there but I love love love their Q series skimmers!

Last edited:

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first three rolls lasted 7-9 days each. 300 gallon tank on a clarisea 5000. I just switched to a 20" x 200 yard roll that i have to cut and reroll. It's about 15 rolls in one for $145. I'm going to test it in a couple of days, because I cant afford 3-4 clarisea rolls in a month.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first three rolls lasted 7-9 days each. 300 gallon tank on a clarisea 5000. I just switched to a 20" x 200 yard roll that i have to cut and reroll. It's about 15 rolls in one for $145. I'm going to test it in a couple of days, because I cant afford 3-4 clarisea rolls in a month.
Wow! Yeah I don’t blame ya hopefully you find a cost effective solution.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Reefmat 1200 would be more appropriate for a P650. I've been using the Bubble Magus Medium for the last year and the rolls last about a month with a heavy load. I've recently upgraded to the Large size though and it's more like 3 months. The rolls for the reefmat at 50' shorter and $10 more per roll. I don't like how the thing is basically a transformer either. Maybe it's easier but the Bubble Magus is dead simple to maintain and it works very well. It was basically a toss-up between the Reefmat or the Large Bubble Magus and that is the direction I went. I have no interest in the app connectivity Red Sea offers so that might be a determining factor as well.

Either way, I'd heavily recommend a filter roller. I hate washing socks and they're a wonderful alternative!

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in opinions on this, it just seems like a gimmick that could easily break and stop working. It'd be great if they're actually worth it though.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using two IceCap Klir 4”.

Installed two months ago and still plenty lefton the rolls.
I have cut back on feeding ever since I messed up a food mix for my Plank (added ReefRoid!) and I didn’t use socks except to polish water. But these things are pretty handy. This might explain why they’ve lasted me so long, though.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Reefmat 1200 would be more appropriate for a P650. I've been using the Bubble Magus Medium for the last year and the rolls last about a month with a heavy load. I've recently upgraded to the Large size though and it's more like 3 months. The rolls for the reefmat at 50' shorter and $10 more per roll. I don't like how the thing is basically a transformer either. Maybe it's easier but the Bubble Magus is dead simple to maintain and it works very well. It was basically a toss-up between the Reefmat or the Large Bubble Magus and that is the direction I went. I have no interest in the app connectivity Red Sea offers so that might be a determining factor as well.

Either way, I'd heavily recommend a filter roller. I hate washing socks and they're a wonderful alternative!
I agree but the 500 will go on my up and coming G2 300 tank.

down the Rd. I might get one for the 650P
I’ll look into the bubble magus one.
50’ more for $10 less is a lot

Last edited:

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but the 500 will go on my up and coming G2 300 tank.

down the RS I might get one for the 650P
I’ll look into the bubble magus one.
50’ more for $10 less is a lot
Ah, yea that makes more sense. The price difference was $150 for the Large Bubble Magus vs $400 for the Reefmat 1200 too. Either way, still better than socks! You'll need to remove the filter sock manifold from your sump and they make a specialized tool available from RS for this. I removed mine prior to it's release with a pair of plyers. Yikes.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yea that makes more sense. The price difference was $150 for the Large Bubble Magus vs $400 for the Reefmat 1200 too. Either way, still better than socks! You'll need to remove the filter sock manifold from your sump and they make a specialized tool available from RS for this. I removed mine prior to it's release with a pair of plyers. Yikes.

I have yet to really look into the bubble magus one. but I will.

the new G2 have easy to remove filter cup holders so no work there. now the 650P that is a different story.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that’s a lot of cheddar for fleece. hopefully it can be reused. But dude the smell is gonna be rank!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back