Roller mat vs filter floss

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ClariSea roller on a Cadlights 70 Gallon it has been amazing thus far the usage of the rolls depends on a few different factors. Hands down one of the best additions to my system.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my biggest challenge is I would have to rip out the filter cups on my brand new red sea 650P sump to so it. so there is no going back...haha

well I guess there are options for above sump mounting but i hear that is not as good.
if I do it i want to do it before there is water in the sump.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best additions to my tank EVER.
This one is from England. Little pricey but no direct plumbing connection needed. Called X-filter. Check it out to compare.
But I will never ever have a tank without a roller filter. They are amazing.

BEDC0428-C0CC-48EC-9025-44779F27EEB8.jpeg
That’s a huge roll. That’d last me six months.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for (ClariSea) roller from me. Lasts about 6 weeks as advertised. No worries if the tank is over-fed while I'm out of town. Wife is happy I'm not washing filter socks every 3-4 days anymore. Can it work too well? Yes. Any nutrient export can. As stated, you can put it on a timer or adjust bypass.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone for the feedback.

I think i am not going to go with a roller for now. ( might kick my self in the butt latter down the road tho)
my thoughts are no need to over filter from the get go.
filter floss will work just fine changed every 3-5 days skimmer and ATS + UV I know they all do different things. but I am more excited about the ATS than the roller mat and we all know the expence of setting up a new tank have to draw the line some where.

that said if down the road I decide I need I will add it to the mix.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I was doing socks 10yrs ago I hated it and fell behind. This build I went with a roller.... Never going back. I went with the clarisea sk-5000 - it has a small footprint, needs to be 8" in water, and the roll lasts about 6 weeks as others have said. The main reason I went with the clarisea is the flow rate. One thing to note on the clarisea is the instructions suck. You essentially have to watch a YouTube video to do the build, but it's not terribly difficult.

Space Coyote

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a huge roll. That’d last me six months.
Indeed. They have different micron filters. The 25 lasts me >6 months. Amazing how much it pulls out of circulation. 0 maintenance basically during that time. I never want to see another sock again.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back