Ron Reefman's Rock Flower experience

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I just looked. There are several, which one do you recommend?

I use this one. It was developed by a member here I believe.
4af03f356639307809bc3b4155351f14.jpg

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad to say this but if you have nems as well as a aptasia problem dont go buy a peppermint shrimp.. bought one for 9$, he made short work of all my aptasia but then 3 days later ate one of my 2 rock flowers. So just a word of caution..
I had the same problem as well. I had a few aptasia in my tank so I bought 2 peppermint shrimp and not only did they eat some aptasia, they ate a couple of my flower nems. Never again will I add peppermint shrimp with flower nems

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one rock flower that I think my peppermint is irritating. The other 2 are fine.

And it doesn’t eat aiptasia so it’s to the sump!

IF I can catch it!

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very low aptasia problem now. It was worse, so I too purchased two peppermint shrimp. They have disappeared and the few aptasia I had are still there. Guess the tank took care of the peppermint shrimp before they were able to pick on my RFA!

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one of my two rock flowers that I bought at the WAMAS meeting. I've had it for awhile and it keeps moving. The other seems happy and is constantly eating bugs, but I was watching this one, and maybe bc it was blown up, but it seemed to have a hard time drawing the bugs into its mouth. Do they secrete something to attract them? Seems odd how they were all crawling right in. Only problem with my parameters right now is the ph and phosphate. The house is very tight and small and we have a gas stove, so if we don't open windows, it drops a lot.
03c956235eccb6b2faf95364eb57f5e0.jpg
43e502de18737429fb39d5a5c888cbe0.jpg
f9b6dff3cae63e8ddae034b2ab6d03e9.jpg

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem as well. I had a few aptasia in my tank so I bought 2 peppermint shrimp and not only did they eat some aptasia, they ate a couple of my flower nems. Never again will I add peppermint shrimp with flower nems
I watched videos of them on YouTube straight pulling hammers and frogspawn apart

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends RFA, first one he ever got just turned to this out of the blue. Dont know his params but hes had it for 2 months with out a change to the tank, and even has a new one right under it. I can say the week or 2 before it started moving slowly to the left more in the shade about 2-3 inches from its spot it stayed at. But I was wondering if you may have insight as to why it may look like this over a day.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one question. How much space should I leave between my maxi mini and my rock flowers? Is 4" enough to prevent chemical warfare between the species?

Go to the clown fish anemone forum.

Then, there is a sticky about nem compatibility.

There is a chart for which ones can, and cannot touch at the beginning of that thread.

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not good at attaching links thru my phone. Sorry!
I found it. According to that chart, they're compatible and can touch. So I'm sure the 4" gap between them is plenty. I was apparently misinformed when my LFS said that the maxi mini would kill the rock flowers.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found it. According to that chart, they're compatible and can touch. So I'm sure the 4" gap between them is plenty. I was apparently misinformed when my LFS said that the maxi mini would kill the rock flowers.
I was told the same, but I have had them close, just not touching.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back