Ron Reefman's Rock Flower experience

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just joined the rock flower club. I bought 8 today. They are all about 1" diameter what size plumbing cap do you recommend.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 'club'. Post some photos if/when you get a chance.

Start with a 1" cap (or one that is a bit bigger than the foot of the RFA) and if it seems too deep, you can saw off some of the height and sand the cut edge smooth. In time you probably will need to move up to a bigger end cap, but I'd wait until you see the RFA start to move. I've had one climb up and then remain attached to the outside of the end cap. I put it in a bigger cap and it's been happy for months now.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ron I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. They're acclimating right now and still curled up.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ron I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. They're acclimating right now and still curled up.
Finally remembered to get a picture. 2 have left their PVC end caps.
20190212_092933.jpeg

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful thread! Would love to start a RFA collection but wasn’t wondering if anyone has experience raising them in a bare-bottom tank? I have pretty minimal rock structure as well, though I could always toss in some more small rocks on the bottom for them to attach to.

Any advice is appreciated!

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only dip I've used on RFA's is Dr.G's. Its milbemycin oxime.

Update to my own post about RFA going through a MP40 "blender". I didn't dip and just put it into an end cap tilted slightly to allow some flow through/over. . left it alone and it's came back. Now looks whole again, but obviously much smaller. The lesson learned here was not to give up on a slab of RFA flesh.. it could reform and come back as mine did. I guess while it looked like mush, the mouth was there somewhere and eventually recovered. Lucky bc it was one of those rasta color ones.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to my own post about RFA going through a MP40 "blender". I didn't dip and just put it into an end cap tilted slightly to allow some flow through/over. . left it alone and it's came back. Now looks whole again, but obviously much smaller. The lesson learned here was not to give up on a slab of RFA flesh.. it could reform and come back as mine did. I guess while it looked like mush, the mouth was there somewhere and eventually recovered. Lucky bc it was one of those rasta color ones.
Glad to see it came back. How long ago was the accident?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 months. It was one of those things that naturally makes one instantly think "goner" and to throw it out. But instead, I dropped it into an end cap and tucked it away in a corner. It was so bad that it wouldn't even stay in the end cap because the flow would blow it away, but I managed to angle it in a way that allowed the flow and in hindsight..food to hit it enough to keep it alive and algae off of it. Wasn't an active rescue by any means, but glad I did. That's why I wanted to share. They are surprisingly tough.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How safe are they with fish and other corals?
I have 4 in my main reef tank, they move around their island rarely but even when they end up touching the montis and birdsnests they are around, they don't cause much if any damage.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost 2 small RFA's to peppermint shrimp. I caught the shrimp pulling one out of a PVC end cap. I thought the first one had just gone for a walk. But after I caught the shrimp I knew what had happened. The shrimp has been banished to my sump.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy. I broadcast feed frozen food 3x a week. I also have pellets in an autofeeder that they will occasionally catch.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd show off a photo of a small group of baby RFA's in my tank. This Olympus Tough 1 camera that can go underwater really does a nice job! And the answer to your question is, Yes, I know I have an algae issue! ;Wideyed

Baby RFAs.jpg
RFA R1.jpg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one ultra RFA, so I need to get another one or two at least and start the waiting game to become a grandfather of RFA’s ...lol
Thanks for your input and help Ron Reefman!
Happy reefing...

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one ultra RFA, so I need to get another one or two at least and start the waiting game to become a grandfather of RFA’s ...lol
Thanks for your input and help Ron Reefman!
Happy reefing...

You are quite welcome. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask here or send me a PM, I'm always happy to try and help.

I have 5 big ones (3" to almost 5" in diameter) and I had them all for 12 to 18 months before I had my first spawn. And although I've had 3 over the last 2 years, I've never seen the male spawn or the female deliver! I just look in the tank and see really, really tiny babies in the tank. They start life so small, about 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch in diameter. And I usually find a few near the 5 big ones (all in a group) and more scattered about the tank. And some just disappear into the field of zoas in my tank and I find them weeks and even months later when they get big enough to stand out among the zoas!

Soon I'll post up a photo of the new one I got at RAP in Orlando last weekend. It's mostly a rainbow with white, bulging stripes that run almost to the mouth. I already have rainbow babies, but this one looked different and none of mine have the white stripes.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...

Any updates or pics from the RAP one?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back