Ron Reefman's Rock Flower experience

ReefHog10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok - so I got 5 additional RFAs in a black Friday sale. They were big and expanded in the bag and attached right to the pvc end caps! Look great in the morning before lights come on, but retract down into the sand during the day. (Been in the tank for two days now). The RFAs that were there previously are open and look great. Lights are about 100 par at maximum and I have them turned down to about 60% right now. Is this typical of an “adjustment” period?

Attachments

• 53202F24-6EBF-4163-82CC-6D08DB4FFA87.png
    53202F24-6EBF-4163-82CC-6D08DB4FFA87.png
    720 KB · Views: 80
  • AE4E0D9F-AB8A-4979-A028-6BE81C9AA168.png
    AE4E0D9F-AB8A-4979-A028-6BE81C9AA168.png
    746.6 KB · Views: 76

ReefHog10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update, I’m still seeing the same thing as before. RFAs are open big with lights off, but as soon as the lights come on (now down to 30% blues only) they bury down in the pvc end caps. Is this typical? Reminder of RFAs on the “rock” are open and look good, but all the new ones I have in the end caps are doing the same thing. I was told by the retailer I purchased from that they keep par around 100 and I’m no where near that at the moment. Just curious more than anything regarding others experience. Thanks again - appreciate you all!

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Quick question. First time RFA owner, but not new to reefing in general.

My RFA has been huge and extended and today for a time it shrunk and had a dark brown stand coming from its mouth.
20221205_141323.jpg

It has now opened up a bit more and the brown is gone.

Any idea what this is or if it's normal?

Thanks!

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Quick question. First time RFA owner, but not new to reefing in general.

My RFA has been huge and extended and today for a time it shrunk and had a dark brown stand coming from its mouth.
20221205_141323.jpg

It has now opened up a bit more and the brown is gone.

Any idea what this is or if it's normal?

Thanks!
Pooping... mine will do this from time to time also as long as it open back up afterwards it's normal.

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update, I’m still seeing the same thing as before. RFAs are open big with lights off, but as soon as the lights come on (now down to 30% blues only) they bury down in the pvc end caps. Is this typical? Reminder of RFAs on the “rock” are open and look good, but all the new ones I have in the end caps are doing the same thing. I was told by the retailer I purchased from that they keep par around 100 and I’m no where near that at the moment. Just curious more than anything regarding others experience. Thanks again - appreciate you all!
No that's not normal, mine are in cut off 255 ml plastic bottle bottoms and they still come out during lights on. I would encourage them to open up during lights on by spot feeding them during lights on. Do this every few days for a couple of weeks and they will be trained to open up during lights on.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to get started working on that algae issue!
I like to feed my tank to much. No skimmer on it. I was actually going to pull hair algae before I fed when I noticed him blowing sperm all over the place. I decided to let him spread in peace :face-with-spiral-eyes:. I'm working on an 80 gallon upgrade (with skimmer!) at the moment.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about putting my skimmer on a timer and leaving it off at night. I have some babies but I do wonder if the skimmer is skimming most of the uh... stuff... before it gets to the lady nems.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about putting my skimmer on a timer and leaving it off at night. I have some babies but I do wonder if the skimmer is skimming most of the uh... stuff... before it gets to the lady nI

It wouldn't hurt to turn it off for a bit. I've only got one successful spawn under my belt. Did have 100 babies though!

Cpants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think this is normal but someone tell me I'm not crazy. Bought RFA 2 weeks ago. Placed in a nice spot, not too breezy, not too sunny. Fed it. Was there and looking happy. Moved. Found it. And now it's gone. Someone tell me he's just hiding

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think this is normal but someone tell me I'm not crazy. Bought RFA 2 weeks ago. Placed in a nice spot, not too breezy, not too sunny. Fed it. Was there and looking happy. Moved. Found it. And now it's gone. Someone tell me he's just hiding
They can move a bit. I've had one melt, it took a few days and was not pretty. Keep an eye out for it!

MAH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly the same, but I put a mini-maxi in my tank and it took me 1 week to find it. They can hide extremely well.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting a special nano for my large rock flower group. They are currently all over my 14g nano and leaving not much room for anything else. Im upgrading the nano into something in the waterbox 25 size range and seems like a good time to get the RFAs their own system.

The eshops pico 3.8 is tempting and it would be a good size to tank to my classroom for my desk in august (moving schools). Thinking of taking the most RFA covered piece of LR and just plopping it i with some fresh sand. Few ricordias or maybe some GSP and then just letting the RFAs go wild. My sexy shrimp and a porcelain crab or two would go as well.

My main concern would be that I feed LPS pellets heavily a few times a week. I guess I could just do a huge water change a few times a week?

rodrigocpu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have 4 adult RFA, 1 of them begin to move inside the rank, and "visited" the other 3, hanging around 1 week with each one of the 3. Do you think they were in some way making some RFA sex ? lol... Do you think i should check for some kiddos intank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back