OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you share the new build. I'd like to see what you do as you go along.

Absolutely! In fact this tank is going to have a number of 'unusual' features. The new build thread is listed in my signature below, but here it is: New 90g Build Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-new-90g-build.636706/#post-6344998

I'm really taking my time and trying to do this one as high a quality as I can. How unusual you ask? How about a 1/2" white acrylic base under the bottom glass. And the side glass isn't sitting on the bottom glass. It will be attached to the outside of the bottom glass and even 1/4" into the 1/2" acrylic base. Or white silicone in the end seams rather than black. A white acrylic overflow and back wall. And a 3 tier egg crate platform for 95% of the rock to be up off the sand. Check it out and please make comments or make suggestions (even criticisms are welcome... I can always learn more)!

Here is a tease as to what the platform is going to be:

20190816_112217.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is exactly what I meant!!! Thank you! I already bought eggcrate...your last build has been in my head since I saw it.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much Katrina! I'm a huge fan of having some or most of my rock off the sand. This build will have an 8"x8" top level that will be removable (after taking a custom rock full of coral off it). That way I can reach down inside the platform pyramid to collect anything that might fall down inside or, heaven forbid, remove anything that might die there. :D

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I always tell people that even a $100 Mars Aqua provides light (as in photons) that is just as good for your corals as a $800 Radion. The silly stuff like sunrise/sunset and 6 channels of led color control is really for the human animal and not the animals in the tank! But that said, I think the Photon is as well made, even better looking and just as functional as a Radion that costs twice as much. And I like the led array light spread better than the led point source (led pucks) light spread. And I do like having the human toy part of the fixture! ;Woot

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my SB Reef LEDs. Also affordable with different price points for on/off vs. WiFi, for example.

Love hearing about the build Ron and seeing the eggcrate. I am already visualizing the potential based on the last tank.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my SB Reef LEDs. Also affordable with different price points for on/off vs. WiFi, for example.

Love hearing about the build Ron and seeing the eggcrate. I am already visualizing the potential based on the last tank.

Photos of the build as it happens in the 90g build thread listed below. Brian, I know you already know where it is!

And to those who want more about RFA's, I just found out that Sunday, the only day I'll be at MACNA, Colin Foord will be speaking at 10am about RFA's and specifically about breeding them! For those of you who can't be there, I'll do my best to write it up on Monday. The MACNA link below has some good info about Colin and his presentation.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos of the build as it happens in the 90g build thread listed below. Brian, I know you already know where it is!

And to those who want more about RFA's, I just found out that Sunday, the only day I'll be at MACNA, Colin Foord will be speaking at 10am about RFA's and specifically about breeding them! For those of you who can't be there, I'll do my best to write it up on Monday. The MACNA link below has some good info about Colin and his presentation.

Greatly appreciated! Try to see if anyone is recording it too please.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build? Where, so I can follow!

I'll list a link to it here: New 90g Build Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-new-90g-build.636706/#post-6344998

But it and 3 other threads I'm trying to keep alive are all listed in the signature at the bottom of all my posts. Anybody and everybody is welcome to look, read and hopefully post to them.

And in a few minutes I'll be posting a some new photos in that thread of the egg crate rockscape rack I'll be using.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following it now, but I see no signatures on anyone’s posts. Is there a setting I need to change, or is it because I use my phone?

Also, I am soaking wet with sw and sweat....... doing my plumbing now!

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's because you use your phone. If you used a computer you'd see this version. Below the post there are 5 lines of text. The stuff in orange are links to other threads.

Screenshot 2019-08-21 03.47.21.png

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following it now, but I see no signatures on anyone’s posts. Is there a setting I need to change, or is it because I use my phone?

Also, I am soaking wet with sw and sweat....... doing my plumbing now!
It's because you use your phone. If you used a computer you'd see this version. Below the post there are 5 lines of text. The stuff in orange are links to other threads.

Screenshot 2019-08-21 03.47.21.png

One can also achieve this on their phone by rotating their phone. In other words, going from vertical orientation to a horizontal orientation. Below are screenshots of vertical followed by horizontal.

Vertical screenshot...

Screenshot_20190821-030035_Chrome.jpg

Horizontal screenshot...

Screenshot_20190821-030139_Chrome.jpg

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help and info @crusso1993 , I never use my phone to do internet stuff unless I'm away from home and looking for something.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really Ultras but still nice The 3 big ones were $45 each the little one was $15.
The best part was this was my wife's first frag show. She picked them out. She had picked a couple Ultras in the $75 - $125 range. That I had to pass on because she had already blown through my budget.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that top left one.

I'm with you 100%. I love the top left yellow one and for that matter the other yellow one as well... especially for $15!!! Not that the other 2 aren't really cool, but they look a lot like ones I have. The last time I was snorkeling in the Florida Keys I collected a 3 small RFA's. Of course shallow RFA aren't nearly as colorful as ones from 30 to 50 feet down. But I did get one that I thought was white and therefore a bit unusual. But as it turned out, when the tank is lit well it has some light blue in it, but it doesn't fluoresce, but then I don't think any corals or anemones can fluoresce blue color, only longer wavelengths from green to red.

I'll see if I can get a good photo of it.

These are the 2 I got just because they were easy. BTW, has anybody ever seen rock boring sponges in a reef tank before? That's what the little orange things are, notice the hole which is common to most sponges.

20190825_180304.jpg

This bue one looks way better under cool white leds (14K) than it did in the sunlight (6K). And WAY better than under blue leds as it becomes basically a dull off white. It's only about the size of a dime. I just hope it stays this pretty as it grows up over the next couple of years!

20190825_181453.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back