Rookie mistake. Have you done the same?

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked some sort of rainbow type tenuis at a fragswap this morning, very nice looking piece under the blue radion. After dipping, I placed the coral on my rockwork and then checked the par…. meter was fluctuating between 350-450 due to surface agitation. My gut told me to lower it, but I kept it there thinking I could always move it after the lights went out. Well, a couple hours passed and the coral was almost white, but at least had decent pe.

I can’t believe it only took so little time to lose color like it did. Lesson learned. The coral hasn’t completely bleached so it should recover.

The coral was grown under gen 5 radions, the seller said the lights were low and that it was receiving high light, “getting blasted” were his words…. whatever that means.

I have three 250 watt halides, 14 inches above a 60 inch tank. Two Hamilton 14k’s and one Hamilton 10k.

Here’s a photo about 30 minutes after going into the tank, it was already losing color. I didn’t realize it could happen so fast!

78A625DF-33DA-4337-A0E6-877C2FC45208.jpeg

Here it is four hours later after being moved down to the bottom of the tank, around 250 par.

image.jpg

just thought I’d share my (mis)adventure this morning.

Anyone ever made this mistake?

On a more positive note, I got a nice deal on a Deresa Clam that is loving its new home.

AD821CEC-8F35-4D50-8BB4-320FA3C873C3.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's most likely due to a stress from the move and new environment combined with the high intensity light.
That's why the recommendation is to always start low and slowly increasing PAR,
even if the lighting conditions were exactly the same in the old system.

I experienced this before, learned from the same mistake (although, not whining in a couple of hours. but still) and now I give at least 4-5 days before attempting to move the frag, and usually prefer to wait even longer.

You realized what happened fast enough though, so I believe It'll bounce back.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked some sort of rainbow type tenuis at a fragswap this morning, very nice looking piece under the blue radion. After dipping, I placed the coral on my rockwork and then checked the par…. meter was fluctuating between 350-450 due to surface agitation. My gut told me to lower it, but I kept it there thinking I could always move it after the lights went out. Well, a couple hours passed and the coral was almost white, but at least had decent pe.

I can’t believe it only took so little time to lose color like it did. Lesson learned. The coral hasn’t completely bleached so it should recover.

The coral was grown under gen 5 radions, the seller said the lights were low and that it was receiving high light, “getting blasted” were his words…. whatever that means.

I have three 250 watt halides, 14 inches above a 60 inch tank. Two Hamilton 14k’s and one Hamilton 10k.

Here’s a photo about 30 minutes after going into the tank, it was already losing color. I didn’t realize it could happen so fast!

78A625DF-33DA-4337-A0E6-877C2FC45208.jpeg

Here it is four hours later after being moved down to the bottom of the tank, around 250 par.

image.jpg

just thought I’d share my (mis)adventure this morning.

Anyone ever made this mistake?

On a more positive note, I got a nice deal on a Deresa Clam that is loving its new home.

AD821CEC-8F35-4D50-8BB4-320FA3C873C3.jpeg
Nice clam!

And yes. Countless times. Low and slow is the key to success and acclaimation lol.

Hopefully it recovers. I had a nice piece of joe the coral that bleached overnight but slowly regained its lovely blue hues.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place all my SPS at the top of my tank under my highest par levels. I figure the vendor had them under high par so I'm not going to change it on them even during acclimation. I have not bleached on frag doing it this way.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place all my SPS at the top of my tank under my highest par levels. I figure the vendor had them under high par so I'm not going to change it on them even during acclimation. I have not bleached on frag doing it this way.
I’ve never had this happen either. First time for everything.

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be affected by the shock of the uva and uvb spectrum the halides are emitting that the LEDs were not.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be affected by the shock of the uva and uvb spectrum the halides are emitting that the LEDs were not.
I guess anything is possible. The bulbs are only three weeks old and probably only have around 50 hours on them. They are also mogul, so the bulb casing and a glass fixture shield are both limiting uv light. The bulbs are young, so maybe they are emitting more uv at this point.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never par acclimate. Tenuis, speciosa or whatever go in 300-600 par. Looks to me like you over dipped it. I also never dip out of the bag. I make a little temporary 3g tank and let it settle for 24-48 hours. Dip, remount and then in she goes

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never par acclimate. Tenuis, speciosa or whatever go in 300-600 par. Looks to me like you over dipped it. I also never dip out of the bag. I make a little temporary 3g tank and let it settle for 24-48 hours. Dip, remount and then in she goes
Interesting, never considered this. Is it a standalone tank with just flow and light? Do you keep it running or set up each time? Seems like a great idea! Thanks

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, never considered this. Is it a standalone tank with just flow and light? Do you keep it running or set up each time? Seems like a great idea! Thanks
Set it up each time. It’s just a plastic tank from petco with a little led light and tiny wavemaker.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it can just b a specific coral I Nvr used it but I remember reading something that another reefer had issues w this product.
I have nothing but Tenuis and I tried this dip once and it burned the h3ll out of the coral. I do not recommend it for acros.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it can just b a specific coral I Nvr used it but I remember reading something that another reefer had issues w this product.
I have nothing but Tenuis and I tried this dip once and it burned the h3ll out of the coral. I do not recommend it for acros.
This. Very much this.
It kills acros one after another.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put stuff at the bottom for a bit, and then move it up. Maybe the wrong way to do it, but I feel like after I dip it’s possibly more gentle on the coral. Who knows. Might be a wasted effort.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dipped over 20 acros using this dip and never had an issue. It could be the dip, or something else. I used to use Bayer but did not like handling chemicals. I’ll go back to using Bayer just in case.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This a strong statement. What makes you say this?
First time my father and I dipped 3 new frags with it. only 1 survived and it looked horribly wrong.
We didn't think much of it at first, thought it must be due to a stress from the move itself, things do happen, even if rarely.

Second time, we received a new frag from a friend, dipped it - 2 days later it looked very pale, even though we haven't put it in a high PAR area at all.

Then about a month later we had an alk swing, one Acro reacted and just started to show signs of stress. We took it apart into around 15 to 20 frags, we planned to do this anyway so it wasn't a big deal. We usually use Iodine to dip when fragging, especially if something is wrong, but we were out of Iodine so picked the next best thing we had instead. Only 2 survived and they looked as bad as they could. (they both fully recovered eventually).
Now, you'd think it's because the coral was in bad shape, right, but it wasn't fatal either. After all, we had this Acro for over a decade and it wasn't the first swing we went through with it, not even the second or third, it's a pretty darn hardy Acro and a well behaved one in situations like this.

Third time - We talked with a friend, a fellow reefer and he asked us if we've heard about this new dip and started telling us that nearly all the acros he tried to dip with it were dead after a awhile. Same signs - they were all paling away.

Fourth time - We spoke with our LFS's owner, a close friend of ours for nearly 20 years.
We asked him if he had TLF revive in stock, because we tossed what's left of this dip and realized we would never take another chance with it, and sure enough he suggested to try this new Red Sea dip. While we were telling him our story another reefer approached us and said he went through the very same thing himself, acros just paling away.
The owner did say he'll reach out to Red Sea about the matter, but I doubt he ever did.

Obviously others milage may very, and it could've been just a bad batch (it was the very first one), but with the evidence I've seen and heard, and from my very own experience I could never recommend this dip to anyone else, and if I can I would go as far as to warn others.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back