Rookie's 40 Breeder Build Thread

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes nothing...

After saying I wanted a reef tank for about a year now, I've finally decided to go with it. I started planning it in my head about 6 months ago. Originally, I was going to set one up a few months back... but I went through a rough spell where me and the hobby weren't getting along all that great. That's behind me now, and I am 100% dedicated to this thing.With that said, here's what I have:

-40 breeder tank and stand

-15 gallon sump

-2x Tunze 6045 powerheads.

-ATO unit with aqualifter pump

-4x39w T5HO fixture. May add another 2x39w unit later, though the inital plan seems to indicate that 4x is sufficient.

-50lbs base rock - ordered. Not sure if this is enough or not, so we'll just play that out. If not, I can easily order some more.

-40lbs sand - ordered. Again, not sure if it's enough, but we'll see. Easy enough to pick up a 20lb bag if needed. It was free with the rock, so why not?

-100gph 4 stage RO/DI unit. May upgrade to a better unit down the road, but for all intensive purposes, this should be sufficient.

-700gph Glass-holes overflow - ordered

-Refractometer

-Salt (Red Sea)

-Mag 7

-Loc-Line

-Heater (duh)

So, here's the plan. I am initially going to try and lay out a 'cove' look to the tank. The middle should be tallest, yet have more room from the rock to the front of the tank than any other spot. I also plan on having a shaded area underneath, with an almost bridge-like appearance. As it stands right now, I only plan on keeping zoas, maybe some palys, and possibly a duncan or two. I assume I'll probably end up doing the same thing as I did with plants. Initially want one look, then start to warm up to other things. At this point, I don't really like the look of the 'cactus' looking corals, though who knows what the future holds.

I don't plan on adding corals for the first couple months. While I have a good grasp on how water chemistry works, I want to have some experience with testing, water changes, and just get the tank to a point where I'm comfortable
with adding corals. Because of this, I won't be adding a skimmer right away. Eventually, I'll have some chaeto in the refugium as well running on the opposite schedule as the DT.

For now, is there anything obvious that I'm missing? The tank is the same tank I had planted, and has some nasty brown water in it right now from removing my planted substrate. I plan on documenting the drilling process, provided I have plenty of sedatives (joke btw).

As it stands right now, my initial stocking plan is a pair of clowns (occelaris probably), a firefish, and a dottyback. I'll also be ordering a clean-up crew once the tank gets started, cycled, and ready for one. Since I have no desire to seed with LR, that might be a while.

With everything said, I do want to add that I am very excited about getting this set up. It's been a long planning process, and I'm confident that it will be as rewarding as I've hoped. I welcome any advice or constructive criticism.

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some things in from BRS today, so here's a picture of them-

a6620e71.jpg

Here's the planning stages of the return. It has since been glued together and is drying before painting-

6c479953.jpg

I'll be drilling 2 holes in the return line, hence the longish down-pipe. I'm drilling 2 in case one gets plugged with something (ya never know?).

The rock *should* be here tomorrow, so hopefully I can get somewhat of a plan as to how it will be placed. I also plan to start working on my sump tonight. While I've got the ~15g sump, I want to go ahead and build the 20 long to accomodate a skimmer down the road... and I'm also planning another tank in my head once this one is completed (27g cube).

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're off to a great start, but I have a feeling you will want 6 bulbs to get the color right. And it also gives you better front to back coverage as well.
I love 40 breeder builds, cant wait to see it up and running..

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's functional, I'm not all that worried about it. It will be under the stand, behind doors....

Made some good progress today. Got my rock and overflow in. I was a bit nervous about drilling, but it wasn't terrible. Here's the progress...

Scraped the paint off for the hole-
19da0f7c.jpg

Etched the hole-
f6028bad.jpg

Wasn't too bad-
d583e416.jpg

Overflow installed-
70721cdd.jpg

Return plumbing-
8d097388.jpg

Initial scape-
f47b3a11.jpg

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was pretty happy with it actually. So, I did a final check of everything last night. The sump functions fine, so I'm happy. The water level is a bit higher than I had anticipated, but after doing several checks to simulate a power outage, everything worked fine. I still had about an inch left in the sump once everything drained down. I was expecting a lot of headloss with the mag7, but I don't think I'm losing much. I've got a 90, union, 90, 90, 90, tee, then two 6" sections of 1/2" loc line running through two flared nozzles... and about 3'8" total height. I would like to work on a way to dampen the noise coming from the overflow, but I think I have an idea on how to do it with minimal work. I'm hoping my sand will be in tomorrow, so I can start filling this thing up. I've got about 10 gallons of RO/DI water made so far. I lucked in to getting four 5g water jugs from work that they were throwing out. Theyre the ones you turn upside down and use on the machine. Those should be handy when transporting water from the basement up to the 2nd floor.

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY... got my sand in. USPS guy said 'Your plutonium has arrived'.... I guess he's not used to 40lb large flat rate boxes. So, here are some crappy iPhone pics.

5e2e7753.jpg

Top down-

2840e34f.jpg

And, the sump (ugly, yet functional)-

ae89e558.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to finish filling it up. I've got the sump filled to the top, and the tank has abotu 6" in it now. I should have another 10g made before I head to bed. I'll have the wife make some tomorrow while I'm at work, then mix it and finish topping it off.

I'm already seeing how a container and float valve would be very handy. The only down side is that I'm using my washer to utilize the waste water, so that it isn't wasted... there's no way to keep doing that unless I use two tanks and use one for waste, then pump it in the washer once I need to wash a load of clothes. Hmmmm, lots of options. Unless I start tearing down all my fw tanks and going sw hard core, I doubt I'll do it any differently than I am now.

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job so far! But i would have to agree with WrasseSandwich Glass with Glass, or Acrylic with Acrylic. Acrylic will absorb water and will eventually crack your glass, also silicone will not bond the two, it will only create a seal and then you will have annoying air bubbles in your display. I'm sure you have spent enough time making it, but fixing the problem later will probably be even harder. Not to mention, that you have done a sweet job i wouldnt want to see a mistake like this ruin what looks like will be a great tank. In the end it would probably last a while, my first sump (glass tank with acrylic baffles) lasted about 4 months before the baffles started to give and air bubbles were everywhere, i eventually took it down after about 8 months or so without any cracked glass in that time frame.

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the feedback. I'm most likely going to pull the sump out and re-do it here in the next few days. For the time being, here's a pic of it just before I finished topping it off and adjusting the salinity (which is at 1.026 now).

DSCF7373.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good bro!

Just remember that more is not always better when it comes to live rock. Good water movement throughout the tank will help you keep that baby clean. Also less rock makes your tank look bigger when you add coral! LOL!

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's where we stand tonight... Got my skimmer and two bulbs in. I chose to start with two bulbs so I can figure out the color combination I want. I got a blue plus and aquablue special. I really like the color. Not too blue, but not too white. I think I'll probably skip the purple plus and just stick with a 1:1 ratio of each. I'm going to have to build a small 'shelf' out of PVC and egg crate to sit my skimmer up a little bit off the bottom of the sump. It's too deep without doing so, and putting it in my return section isn't an option (just checked.. WAY too many microbubbles. I'm farily confident that I'm going to just go to a glass shop and have some pieces cut and build another sump. It's going to be rough getting this one out, I'll have to take the center section off the stand to squeeze it out. I'll also have to drain the sump and utilize some buckets. I'm going to re-do the return plumbing while I'm at it, because I'm simply not satisfied. I guess I jumped the gun a bit when I set this up... and I can still re-do it, it's just going to be a little more difficult. Lucky for me, I have several buckets and several empty 10g tanks laying around that I can utilize for this. My problem is that I built the sump all wrong. I eyeballed everything and the baffles just aren't spaced out how I want them. I guess that's the joy of learning as you go. So, without any further interruption, here are some pics...

DSCF7374.jpg

DSCF7375.jpg

DSCF7378.jpg

DSCF7377.jpg

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some tests this morning... Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5. I'm going to give it a few more days, but I think I may be cycled. Ammonia peaked at 2ppm, never tested the nitrite or nitrate until today since I didn't expect it to go so quickly.... guess breaking down and seeding with LR helped a lot.

Here's the tank today-

DSCF7396.jpg

DSCF7397.jpg

DSCF7398.jpg

DSCF7399.jpg

DSCF7400.jpg

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some more tinkering around today... installed a GFCI plug beside the tank and hooked up a power bar above/behind the tank (was previous using power strip with GFCI built in... tangled mess) -

DSCF7425.jpg

DSCF7426.jpg

DSCF7427.jpg

Yesterday, I also finished my ATO setup. My ATO was designed to be in tank, not in sump, so it didn't drop down enough. I zip-tied a piece of egg crate to the bracket and got them set up. Marked a line on my sump to monitor the water level and make sure they're working as they should...

DSCF7429.jpg

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a good start, I agree with the point Rev is making though. I would remove about a third of the rock from the display tank and add it to the sump. I had alot of rock in my tank when I set it up and it gave me nothing but problems, not enough flow getting thru all of that rock.

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm most likely going to pull some out for a smaller tank I am going to be setting up. I went with less than the recommended 1.5-2lbs per gallon, since this is only about 55lbs total. Maybe I just need to scape more in to the front to pull it down in height.

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've rescaped the tank. Moved some of the rock to the sump. I had a buddy send me some Chaeto, and have sold the two Tunze 6045's and replaced them with an MP10. I was like a kid at Christmas this evening when I opened it up. I got a killer deal on it, since it was used. I also got a BRS reactor in the deal, so I'll be setting it up tomorrow. Yesterday, I rescued a Pink Spotted Watchman Goby from a lady who couldn't keep it in her reef because it was too big, and her trigger was not playing nice with it in her FOWLR. He has settled in nicely, and ate some frozen mysis tonight. Hoping for the best with him. I'm also picking up two millipora frags tomorrow from a local guy who's letting me try them out to see how they do, and how I like them. This should give me a good idea of what to expect when I get my FREE frags in.

Here's the tank the other night (before I replaced the Tunze with the MP10)-

DSCF7438.jpg

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think once you start adding coral you may want to move your rock around. But over all, your off to a real good start. Just curious, what kind of mg,alk, and calcium are you getting from the red sea salt? I think I may start using it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back